• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 lx camo mod

Walkerhal

Feb 24, 2014
Just got a 29 lx camo and was wondering if there is a mod that could be done where this radio could drive a texas star 500 (for export use) or if not other options?? It is only doing about half of output power with this radio, but when driven by galaxy 959 the numbers are far more impressive...

I'm using a 29lx and dx500 right now seeing 300-350 peak .... and that's with DEI transistors in the dx500.

What were you expecting?

Well I didn't really know what the exact number would be but I figured somewhere around 400. I just can't figure why it would put out about 200 more with the galaxy radio pushing it unless I was under driving it.

Under driving?

I think the Galaxy will do more than the Cobra, what are the radios doing?

The galaxy 8-30 and the cobra 4-15. If the dx350 takes 20w to see 250-300w shouldn't the 500 take 40w to see 500??

I don't really understand that last question. More pills will allow more drive, but doesn't alter the gain. And then there's that "non-linearity" thing

I was just wondering what I could do to the cobra 29 to get all I can get out of the ts500 (safely)... "non linearity" thing... what's that?

Last edited:
driving the tx350 to 400 to 500 watts will burn it up very fast. more in the 300 range is best for that amp. its only a 350 from the factory.

Just got a 29 lx camo and was wondering if there is a mod that could be done where this radio could drive a texas star 500 (for export use) or if not other options?? It is only doing about half of output power with this radio, but when driven by galaxy 959 the numbers are far more impressive...

I'm never impressed by numbers. Over-driving an amp is the #1 cause of amp failure. More impressed with a station operator that knows this and his station sounds better than those just looking for big numbers.
:whistle:

Here is a modded up radio just like yours, might be a tad hot for TS500 though.

Cobra 29 LX Camo CB Radio RFX - Custom CB radios

What about the ts500 Sonoma that's what I'm driving...

I have a texas star 500 variable and driving it with a cobra 29 ltd I ususally only got about 400 out of it max.I would normally only run it at about 200 watts. no one on the receiving end local could tell when I had it all the way up or turned down. I never drive a amp hard or you are going to burn it up. a friend of mine ran a dual final radio into his and he would get over 500 out of it but he had to replace the pills in it after a few months. he burnt the variable control in it also. had to have it replaced when they installed new pills in it.

Thanks a lot for all of your input. For now I am going to leave it alone. Sounds like most people are saying I won't be able to get farther out, and the person on the other end will not be able to tell a difference if I am sending 200 more watts their way. Thanks again for the advice.

my cobra 29 puts out 30 watts with a whistle into the mic. normal talking it does about 10 watts which is good. as you said do not worry about making the amp put out 500 plus watts since it will not last long and it will not be noticed around you. my 500 variable is about 12 years old and still works just fine. I normally only have the variable about 1/2 open when I use it and see about 150 to 200 watts. that is plenty. in fact 100 watts local is all a guy really needs. more watts will help for skip but in most cases I talk skip with just the radio. have not had my amp in the car for about 5 years now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.