• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 not powering on

Nameless1

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks in advance for any advice, I have a cobra 29 wx that I am using as a base. It's been working great for about 6 months and all the sudden yesterday kuhpoot! It was on for about two minutes and I had not keyed it up at all yet. I have done everything I can think of to diagnose, checked leads into radio and those are good radio has power inside of plug, where my real question lies is that I took out the on/off switch and test terminals. All terminals are hot even when switch is off. Nothing on radio will turn on, is it the switch or could it be another part in the radio letting power through when it should not be?

How would I go about testing? Are there certain terminals that should be hot?

If this radio is inside the house and you're powering it with a power supply any chance the neg/pos wires had a stray wire on the power supply?

You need to check power at the back of the radio at the plug using a multimeter and then check to see if you have voltage at the volume/power switch. If there is power at the back plug but not at the power switch then you probably blew the diode.

If you have power at the power switch but the radio won't turn on then you might have a bad switch.

I am powering this unit from a 12v battery on the bench. I have power from battery through leads into radio and all the way to the switch. Here's my real head scratcher, every terminal on the on/off switch is hot with full voltage except I think the yellow wire is only reading 7v. (Officially flustered)

I am powering this unit from a 12v battery on the bench. I have power from battery through leads into radio and all the way to the switch. Here's my real head scratcher, every terminal on the on/off switch is hot with full voltage except I think the yellow wire is only reading 7v. (Officially flustered)

Just posted a very similar issue. 13.8 on my yellow also. have you had any luck replacing switch etc.?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.