• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 NW - popping sound in speaker

FredTx63

Oct 17, 2015
I have a fresh out of the box Mfg. in 2017 Cobra 29 LTD Classic Nightwatch. It's a really nice radio for what it is (I've had a lot of 29s over the years, some feel like absolute junk - this one is solid, good knob feel, nice quiet and sensitive receive)

My only complaint is this one has a sort of "popcorn popping" sound in the receive/through the speaker when in CB mode and the volume is turned down almost all the way down or all the way down (goes away when I put it in PA mode, comes back when in CB mode) which does not disappear with the antenna disconnected. When I turn up the volume the radio static/signals drown it out easily, but it still bothers me knowing it's there being mixed in with the normal signals. It's not isolated to one CB channel and RF Gain/NB/ANL has no impact on it.

I realize cheap CB's like this (hell, even more expensive HF transceivers) have some degree of noise even with the antenna disconnected, but this is unusual. I'll try to get a video capturing the noise with my cell phone and upload it, but in the mean time I thought I'd see if anyone has heard what I'm talking about before.

I'd love to be able to get rid of this unwanted noise.

Last edited:

I had a 29 popping about like yours a few years ago and changed the caps at the audio IC and it went away. one of the caps was bad causing the noise. forget which one was bad but C48 keeps popping in my head as to the one that was bad, just a thought

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.