• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 29 QUESTION

CAN I USE MY COBRA 29 LTD CLASSIC AS BASE STATION. AND IF SO WHAT KIND OF ANTENNA SHOULD I USE.

<span style="color:red;font-family:helvetica;font-size:medium;">454 IN THE MAG</span></p>

The Interceptor 10K is a really great antenna. It's really built well, and will withstand severe weather & wind. If you decide not to go with that antenna, then I would try to find another vertical 5/8 wave groundplane antenna. IMO, i would avoide the Antron 99's. Their inexpensive, but have several design problems.

Moleculo

</p>

There used to be a page up by kg6aoh that explained in detail the antenna, including schematics. Unfortunately it's down right now. He did the math on the coils and capacitors in the 1/4 wave matching section to calculate actual gain. The end result was a negative dbd figure. Maybe someone has the pages saved on their PC

Moleculo

</p>

A-99's are nothing more than a cheap and easy to assemble CB Bleed Stick. All they ever been. If I were wanting a Fiberglass CB Base antenna I would want a Shakespeare or the Original Anttron 305. They both out perform the Solarcon A-99's hands down.

</p>

Well where can I read about this?

Solarcon hasn't made any A-99's since Spring I am told.

They are only procuding the Imax-99 and 2000's right now.

</p>

I put a call into Ken at Solarcon/Tencom LTD to see if I can get any info.

</p>

Just because the governement purchases large quantities of something doesn't prove squat. For example: The government today is still buying large quantities of wheat and other grain and letting it rot just to keep the price up on wheat to subsidize farmers.

The matching system in that antenna has a lot of loss. And Solarcon doesn't care, because they need those capacitors in there to get the high voltage protection rating they advertise (for boneheads like my locals that put them next to power lines, so that when they blow over into the power lines....)

Did I mention how many of the locals A-99's blow apart every year in our Santa Ana winds with 75-90 mph gusts? Or KyPooh has posted about his neighbor, who's A-99 exploded from getting frozen in the winter while his own I-10K survived just fine. And they blindly just go buy another one. Maybe that's not a design "flaw", but it sure is cheap construction.

Moleculo

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=moleculocdx363>MoleculoCDX363</A> at: 9/28/04 11:06 am

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
The A-99 is really nothing more than a vertical dipole and if you had seen the review, you would have to agree the workmanship was shoddy, connections that were cold soldered with large "Blobs" of solder were good connections should have been. Do they work, yes, How do they com-pair to Jay`s I 10K ground Plane? ,not even close, not by a long shot.

Jeff

CDX 339

RadioActive

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>and a vertical dipole is the LAST thing it could possibly be since it would have to be fed in the center of the element, not at the base. think again. <hr></blockquote>

Are you trying to tell me that a 1/2 wave vertical dipole can`t be fed from the Bottom?

Jeff

CDX 339

RadioActive

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=audioshockwav>AudioShockwav</A> 
posticon28.gif
at: 9/29/04 5:26 pm

Regardless, you said a dipole had to be fed in the middle. That is incorrect, and I just provide plans to build your very own end fed dipole. This type of antenna has been around forever. I'm sure you know where the term Zepp came from...

</p>

Yeah, the last time I checked that was called an end fed dipole or a Zepp.

edit: multiple people posting at once....this was supposed to go after Audio's question a few posts back.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=moleculocdx363>MoleculoCDX363</A> at: 9/29/04 6:53 pm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.