• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29ltd Classic And Irf-520 Questions

CBSlicer

Jul 3, 2014
First off please understand what I am trying to do is play around and test a bit.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

I have on old 2008 Chine version of the 29 LTD Classic. I have installed the IRF-520 MOSFET as well as upgrade the final to the NTE version of the 2SC2314. No coils have been spread and D11 has been re-installed (was clipped when I go it.)

I am seeing a dead key of about 2.5 watts and a swing to about 15 or so. So I know for one thing it will have some loud audio.

So now my questions for the forum...

1. What is with all this 30-40 watts PEP I see running around this mod and has anyone on the forum been able to get this out of this mod

2. If you were able to get that out of it... what did you do??

Thanks folks and like I said.. I am testing and "playing".. trying to learn a few things. I know some like these MOSFETs and some don't. I am just looking for some answers and directions on things to try.

Thanks!!

hmmm.. I did just notice something.. when I key the radio I am only seeing about 1.2 volts on the Gate location... maybe the homebrew EN1230 is not producing what it should for the BIAS....

It depends on where you got the MOSFET. I bought about 5 on eBay (new) and were crap. Idk if static got to them or not. But all I got was about 15PEP.
I just installed a ERF2030 in a Uniden 76 and installed a resistor inline with D11. She does 45+ pep with voice and pegs the needle on the Bird if I whistle (hate the whistle trick. Just wanted to see how high she would go). If this was a SSB radio, I wouldn't add resistance to the mod limiter, but AM rigs, I keep it readable. Try throwing in the 2030 and see how that works. Or switch your drivers back.

what does the resister w/D11 give you?

I changed to the EN369 setup and I am at about 2.5 volts now. Trying to figure out what to do to get things up to at least 3 volts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.