• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29LTD classic weak rx and no rf gain control

Oct 27, 2014
Charleston Sc
I have a 29 that started out with no sound. Verified the audio ic was bad and changed it (5 pin version). Have some sound, but very weak rx and no rf gain control. Checked tr7, and replaced it with a known working one, same with D3 and D3. Checked D5 and D6 and they checked good. Radio transmits fine. I tried a full alignment, but had to crank the signal generator up to 1k micro volts just to get a reading to begin alignment. It is on frequency. A strong neighbor's radio barely moves the needle. Any ideas?

just a couple of guesses, but try checking TR6, and then check L2 and L3 for continuity. (they won't show a dead short, but there will be a resistance value and not an open if they are good)
LC

Reactions: wavrider
I pulled and checked tr6...it checked good on my atlas DCA55 tester. Just strange how there was no sound to begin with. Once I changed the audio IC, I had sound but then weak rx and no rf gain control. Its like herding cats, one thing after another! lol

glad to hear it!

i was bummed when you said it checked good because that was my main guess.
nice job getting it working.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.