• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29ltd switch mods

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
I would like to use the CB/PA switch to be able to turn on/off the talkback.
The radio has the resistor across the external speaker/pa jacks.
Is there a better way, such as putting the resistor at the switch?
If someone could point me to a post or site I would appreciate it.

Keep the res. at one of the solder points at the rear of the radio with heat-shrink. You could wire the 2 wires to a 1K pot and have a variable talkback. Get a pot that clicks to turn off, then its off. Do you know how to disable the PA function when taking the wires of the CB/PA switch? Play with different value res's so it wont squeal like a pig.

No.

Thanks for your post, I do not know how to disable the wires at the switch.
I had done a variable once, but I'm trying to learn how to use the switches that aren't used for other things and not add any other pots.

If you could show me how to diable the switch, that would help. What I'm after is to have the talkback off until you flip the switch to "channel 9" .

For the CH 9 switch, if you do it wrong you lose everything. I dont have that CH 9 mod in front of me, i would have to look thru my notes, i think its in or on the web already. Why not just buy a mini toggle or sub-mini toggle from Ratshack and mount it on the side, rear or bottom lid?

I would like to use the CB/PA switch to be able to turn on/off the talkback.
The radio has the resistor across the external speaker/pa jacks.
Is there a better way, such as putting the resistor at the switch?
If someone could point me to a post or site I would appreciate it.

Go to you tube and search for "talkback for cobra 29", there are dozens of how to video's.

thanks

I would prefer to keep the radio looking stock and use the switches since they are there, if you could check your notes sometimes and you could private message me if you prefer.

I don't remember seeing anything on switch mods on the *tube, but I will look again, that's what got me started on this quest, I saw a guy on there
(snake radios) that does all kinds of mods like the meter light that lights up when you mod,etc. I contacted him but he said he doesn't give up his secrets.

If you or anyone has any mods, or liks to mods let me know

Thanks in advance.

CB/PA is easy, just get it to work on CB by soldering the PA wires together, dont forget heat shrink, not black tape. Ch 9 mod, i think is clipping "Q" something, just try the PA switch, dont forget a 100ohm res.

I usually use the RF Gain knob for talkback. Remove the resistor jump and used 2 wires, one on each jack. Then unsolder the wires going to the rf gain and resolver them together. I don't know a lot of ppl the evened with the rf gain anyway. Then the 2 wires coming from the speaker jacks go in place of the gain wires. When the knob is completely ccw, you can't hear any talk back. Now if your radio is going to be really close to you when you speak and you still get a lot of feedback. Just add a 100ohm resistor (or less) to one of the wires in the back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio