• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89 GTL meters

PyroZuki

Jan 21, 2014
"MODS". If you could please delete this thread (as I cant), I would be thankful.

Hey there, guys. As my first post, I'd like to know if anyone has replaced the meters with something other than stock. I just picked up a 89 GTL for free because the meters don't work. I can't find stock meters for the life of me and would love to replace these. I'm somewhat new to the CB, but I've been lurking on this site and many others for a few months. I've been making my own antennas for the last 3 weeks with great outcomes and now it's time for me to start learning more about the radios. The radio works like a charm on all of my home brew 11 meter antennas, but the meters are driving me nuts. Any info or advice from the gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pyro

Last edited:

first off, just so you know, you are in the ham radio section.

the CB section is below. you may or may not get the help you need asking about CB radios in the ham section.

as for the meters, you may find the same type of meters used on other Cobra base stations from the same era, but you wont find any new ones.

if it really is just the meter movements that arent working, they are probably just stuck due to old age.

remove the meters from the radio, and remove the front piece of plastic that makes up the front of the meter. they are glued together and sometimes taped also.
a little gentle prying with a jewlers screwdriver should do it. be careful not to gouge them.

once the front cover is off, you will see a small screw at the base of the needle.

using a very small screwdriver and very gentle movements, give this screw about 1/4 turn in each direction, and then try to put it back in its original position.
the first time you turn it, you will probably encounter some resistance, so be careful, but firm.

once it "pops", the meter should be all good.

just put it back together and solder it back in place.
LC

Reactions: 2 people
Just wanted to add that the small set screw might have a sealant/glued on it also; making it difficult/impossible to move it. You can put a 20 watt soldering iron tip on the top of that screw for just a couple seconds. This will soften that glue enough so that you can move that screw back and forth as loosecannon suggested.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't believe I posted this in the HAM section, more so I'm surprised I'm still allowed around here and y'all didn't rip me up. :) I ain't off to a very good start. :laugh:

I greatly appreciate the help you two have given! I'm goin to head out to the shack and start that process.
FWIW- I do have a HAM (little Puxing PX777) and I'm studying for the HAM test, so I will be back in this section.

I'll delete this fail of a first post after a little while. I want you two to see my appreciation, first.

Pyro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.