• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra Cam 89

Sambo460

Dec 14, 2010
Exmore Virginia
Hey guys im new to this site and pretty new to Base Radios. I just set up my first base today. Im pretty use to mobile radios and their features and etc but I am running a realistic navaho 432 and just picked up a Cobra Cam 89. Who has any experience with these two radios and their performance? im really curious about the cam 89 it has been modified to be 40 channel so I can have the 24-40 channels. Im currently running a Antron 99 antenna with rg-8 coax. The realistic has pretty decent audio. its not blowing anyones doors down by any means but its getting out a good 20 miles at the moment. not setting any records but im having a blast with my radio. but any info about these two radios and mods for the cam 89 would be helpful.

Thanks Sambo:pop:

The Cobra Cam 89 was also one of my first bases when I got back in the hobby a few years ago. Decent radio all around. Lots of people like them for their loud modulation. Receive is a bit weaker than I like it. Hard to find one anymore with good meters and pots or that hasn't had the "golden screwdriver" poking around inside. Not my favorite radio, but it holds a place in my shack.

Their are lots of Cam 89's out there. I see them now and then for sale in the $20 range.

yeah they are going cheap. i picked mine up for 27.00. actually got my cam 89 in the mail today. hooked it up to my A99 and instantly picked way more than the navaho base. did a few radio checks and its putting out great. it has a 40 channel switch box on the top of it. overall im very happy with it. only thing thats not working right now is my channel indicator light behind the dial. but other than that this 30 sum year old radio is stilll doing its job!(y)

Good to hear it's working out for ya!

Changing out any of the bulbs in a Cam 89 is a cinch. You need a 12v miniature lamp from Radio Shack. Here's the link:

12V/25mA Miniature Lamps - RadioShack.com

Just cut the power leads to the old bulb... determine which wires from the radio are positive and negative (if you don't own a voltmeter, better buy one if working with CBs)... and connect the new bulb wires by securing with electrical tape or solder. Use a tiny zip tie or some hot glue to mount the new bulb. Should work like new!

Thanks any help is appreciated. This Cam 89 and my Realistic TR 432 are my frist base radios. I run primarily mobile and getting info on these older base radios is great! (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.