• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra Highgear

Soldaun

Aug 1, 2009
My buddy's step dad just gave me the antenna that was connected to the CB he gave me and I wanted to know if it's worth using or getting a different antenna. I'll post some pics but I have a feeling it wont be of the best quality since the high gears I did find sucked. I put a can of soda next to the antenna for a size reference on the load.

Attachments

• downsized_0417000038.jpg
    downsized_0417000038.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 3
  • downsized_0417000041.jpg
    downsized_0417000041.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 2

Why not use it in the mean time until you can find out what you may want? I'm sure it will work for you. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - as has been said before. Just set it up for optimum conditions: ie center mount on the top of the vehicle w/ mag mount if possible. Adjust SWR and tell us how it works for you. BTW - what means do you have to mount it?

looks like the K40 type load. should work just fine. get a 108" whip from MFJ and you'll never buy another antenna again.

The O N L Y disadvantage that I can see with this antenna, is that it is a center load antenna. Which means it might swing wildly under sudden acceleration or braking. On the other hand, center load antennas are superior to base load antennas - a desirable thing. But all antennas will flex under accel/decell; having the weight higher makes it slightly worse. But if it is mounted firmly, it shouldn't be a real problem at all. Should work as well -or better- than any base load antenna.

From what I can see of this antennas construction - and if mounted top/center of the vehicle - it has the potential to work as well as a Predator10k. Well; by design anyway - sorta/kinda. Some Predator10K's have a 6 inch shaft before the coil, and then a 6 ft stinger/antenna whip. So there are some similarities.

Check the SWR on ch 1, 20, & 40; get it as flat as can be consistent.
Should be 'good to go'...

Reactions: 1 person
Get a good mount. Put it in the center of your roof and tune it. It will work just fine! If you want to upgrade later than go for it but this antenna tuned will work just fine.(y)

one of the guys at the shop brought one of these in and donated it.its a bit weatherbeaten but some cheap rattlecan black and shoving the stinger to the bottom put it on 10m.
anyone know the specs?
bad sign when this is the only hit on google for this thing.

i did identify this unit.
its an hg-a6000.
here is the ad copy.
Cobra HG-A6000 48" Center Load Antennas - Black

Lexan center load shell available in 4 colors
48" black chrome whip
Super Corona tip
6000 watt power handling
8-gauge copper coil for lower IR power losses and more power handling capability
Heat and fade-resistant
Ultrasonically sealed for water tightness
Non-corrosive black chrome plated stainless steel whip, shaft and hardware.
well the fade resistance is bunk.
mine was rather weatherbeaten with surface crazing from sun exposure.
it got a coat of paint to hopefully seal it up.
it works fine on 10m still.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.