• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coil former for V quad

troll5

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 17, 2010
melbourne australia
G-day all' I am in the process of building a v-quad based on the Maco VQ2 Quad instruction manual. I have come to a halt as I am unsure as to the length of the coil former.
Does anyone have a rough idea or an accurate size as to what it could be? This is the only part that is holding me up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers from way down under.:confused::confused::confused:(y)

From the manual it says it is 3/4 inch in diameter and from the looks of it in pictures and estimating it's length I would say it is about 2 inches in total length. It's not going to be that critical anyway,a little bit one way or the other won't matter. Just make sure it's 3/4 inch diameter and make three full turns as the instruction says and you should be good. I just don't understand why they use it to tune the reflector anyway. A better idea would be to simply make it a bit longer.

I'm with you on that one capt'n.Have tried to source the info as to why they have a coil on the reflector side but no luck. If it didn't need it why put it in, it must serve a purpose

cheers from downunder, Norm(y)(y)

After all the advice I could gather I think I will add 5% to the reflector length and not use a coil former. Cheers Norm(y)
I never figured out why they used one but it could have something to do with the fact I've heard this V-Quad design (Delta loop) puts voltage & current in phase and have the nodes/ maxims centered on the wire...???

Would you like me to go measure mine?

CDX-007
That would be really appreciated if you could.

Regards Norm
Hey Norm,

'Nao woorrees', I'll measure it when I get home tomorrow, am visiting a friend tonight and playing computer while she's showering.

...I know, I know, What am I doing on the computer... you don't have to say it! ;)

I hope you appreciate this assistance enough to listen for me on L38 / 10m so we can try it out in the future! :D

Catch you within 24h.

Hi Norm,
OK, I measured what I could but there's some sort of double rubberized cover which doesn't want to open and all I could do is try to figure out the number of turns with my thumbnail. First the coil is about 1 1/8" in diameter, and it appears to have only about 3 turns. The entire affair is 1.25" dia x 3.375" long.

I doubt it is super critical so fudge it and tune for best performance and it will serve you well!

I may be done with my SGM testing in a week or so and have it installed in the tree so I should hopefully be able to get on installing my V-Quad too. I would hope you & I will be in QSO within a month!

73 and I hope that inspired ballpark guesstimate helps!

Thanks mate, I'm on the way out back to start putting it all together. Hopefully it all work and I can get good QSO's going.
Once again I really appreciate the time and effort(y)(y)(y)
Cheers Norm

Thanks mate, I'm on the way out back to start putting it all together. Hopefully it all work and I can get good QSO's going.
Once again I really appreciate the time and effort(y)(y)(y)
Cheers Norm

Right-o!

Say Yolida,
Scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.