1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Comet HD5M Bites The Dust!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by 2RT307, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Comet HD-5M broken Yeah, the Yaesu ATAS 120A went a floppin' while I was traveling at 70 mph today on the freeway. Hey! What was that thump!?! No fun. At least the antenna and coax held until I could pull over. I am stuck with this type of mount due to this being a work car that is on a fleet/lease program, so no drilling holes. Any stronger, mo' betta suggestions out there?

[​IMG]

Brett

2. davev8

davev8 Gold Star/Marvin Award Member

3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

#3 Tallman, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Lip mount such as a Diamond K400. Magnets are crap, utter utter shite. Even if they stay on the car you're damaging the paintwork with the coax flapping around unless you tape it to the roof and you've all the issues with the coax being crushed in the door or trunk lid where you bring it into the car.

5. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

They are not bad at all if you know how to use them. My mount does not mark my paint. The magnets are coated with a thin layer of ABS plastic on the bottoms. The coax is angled back to a flip type window and other than a little extra road noise no problem there. The mount pictured is for my ham radio antennas and all of those antennas are right at 8 feet in length and this mount holds them well.
    Just like hand guns, you have to know how to use them.

#5 Tallman, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018