• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Comet HD5M Bites The Dust!

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
[photo=medium]5024[/photo]Yeah, the Yaesu ATAS 120A went a floppin' while I was traveling at 70 mph today on the freeway. Hey! What was that thump!?! No fun. At least the antenna and coax held until I could pull over. I am stuck with this type of mount due to this being a work car that is on a fleet/lease program, so no drilling holes. Any stronger, mo' betta suggestions out there?

comet-hd-5m-broken.5024

Brett

Lip mount such as a Diamond K400. Magnets are crap, utter utter shite. Even if they stay on the car you're damaging the paintwork with the coax flapping around unless you tape it to the roof and you've all the issues with the coax being crushed in the door or trunk lid where you bring it into the car.

Lip mount such as a Diamond K400. Magnets are crap, utter utter shite. Even if they stay on the car you're damaging the paintwork with the coax flapping around unless you tape it to the roof and you've all the issues with the coax being crushed in the door or trunk lid where you bring it into the car.
They are not bad at all if you know how to use them. My mount does not mark my paint. The magnets are coated with a thin layer of ABS plastic on the bottoms. The coax is angled back to a flip type window and other than a little extra road noise no problem there. The mount pictured is for my ham radio antennas and all of those antennas are right at 8 feet in length and this mount holds them well.
Just like hand guns, you have to know how to use them.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.