• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

commercial broadcaster grade audio?

Well....there is always the candle voice training method....that is pretty cheap....train your voice to have that deep rich professional tone of a DJ. (y)

happy%20birthday%20girl%20blowing%20candles%20madly.jpg

And by no means do I have a radio voice, I just posted that to show some fidelity and clarity.

That setup has way more bass than you will ever need I was running my low end conservative for that gate.

Here is a gate of my cheap setup, I think it was recorded Feb, 2010.

When I say Motor Mouth Maul microphone im talking about the radio shack one.

If i remember right,
Galaxy 88
Breakaway Broadcast
Radio Shack mic
and it was recorded on a Kenwood receiver about 15 miles away

FREE IMAGE HOSTING - ImageCabin Free Image Hosting

Is this the microphone that you are talking about?

Attachments

• duel electret element mic.jpg
    duel electret element mic.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 146
Yes it is! It needs to be built I'm a metal case, I tryed using a coffin mic and it didn't sound right.

Here's my contribution to this discussion. This is a recording of me made by Big Radio 549 in Texas a couple months ago:

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ts-850/modulation/bill_essb.mp3

No, I don't really have a great radio voice. In fact I sound like a dork. (I need to learn not to say "uh" so much.)

I was transmitting with my Kenwood TS-850SAT and DSP-100 combo. Everything was set for ESSB audio. Normally with the TS-850/DSP-100, you can only achieve about 3Khz of audio bandwidth, but if you disable the low cut and high cut filter settings completely, it widens out to about 6Khz. Like it says in the recording, I was using a Behringer B1 mic, Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer/pre-amp, Nady 31-band analog equalizer and a Behringer MDX1600 speech processor.

Big Radio 549 was receiving me on his VooDoo-modified Kenwood TS-950SDX. The VooDoo mods for the receiver improve its RX bandwidth tremendously compared to stock. I can attest to this now that I own a TS-950SDX myself -- his receiver sounds way better than mine. Again, this recording was made in sideband, not AM.

Unfortunately I don't have any recordings of me on my TS-950SDX. I can use my TS-850's receiver to make some, but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up to the computer yet. The 850's TX frequency response is good. The 950's is even better, particularly on AM. (BTW, I posted a photo of the 850, 950 and the audio gear in the photo section recently, if you want to have a look.)

Now, the Berhinger B1 mic sells for a little under $100. Would a less expensive mic from Radio Shack on the same rig sound just as good? I really don't know.

-Bill

Here's my contribution to this discussion. This is a recording of me made by Big Radio 549 in Texas a couple months ago:

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ts-850/modulation/bill_essb.mp3

No, I don't really have a great radio voice. In fact I sound like a dork. (I need to learn not to say "uh" so much.)

I was transmitting with my Kenwood TS-850SAT and DSP-100 combo. Everything was set for ESSB audio. Normally with the TS-850/DSP-100, you can only achieve about 3Khz of audio bandwidth, but if you disable the low cut and high cut filter settings completely, it widens out to about 6Khz. Like it says in the recording, I was using a Behringer B1 mic, Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer/pre-amp, Nady 31-band analog equalizer and a Behringer MDX1600 speech processor.

Big Radio 549 was receiving me on his VooDoo-modified Kenwood TS-950SDX. The VooDoo mods for the receiver improve its RX bandwidth tremendously compared to stock. I can attest to this now that I own a TS-950SDX myself -- his receiver sounds way better than mine. Again, this recording was made in sideband, not AM.

Unfortunately I don't have any recordings of me on my TS-950SDX. I can use my TS-850's receiver to make some, but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up to the computer yet. The 850's TX frequency response is good. The 950's is even better, particularly on AM. (BTW, I posted a photo of the 850, 950 and the audio gear in the photo section recently, if you want to have a look.)

Now, the Berhinger B1 mic sells for a little under $100. Would a less expensive mic from Radio Shack on the same rig sound just as good? I really don't know.

-Bill

That sounds really good! I didn't think you sounded like a dork....lol

Alright, I finally got my butt in gear and hooked the computer up so I could make a recording of the TS-950SDX.

Here's the sample:

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ts-950sdx/modulation/amssb.mp3

This recording was made by monitoring myself on my Kenwood TS-850's receiver. It occurred to me much later that I forgot to turn on the DSP-100 unit during the SSB portion of the recording, which is a shame because received SSB audio sounds a bit sharper with the digital filtering engaged. The DSP unit has no effect on AM reception though.

There are some modifications that can be done to to the TS-950SDX to improve its low end response which I haven't done yet, which means there's still some room for improvement in terms of fidelity.

Note that there's no effects processing other than a little bit of equalization. Real broadcasters sometimes add some reverb for that 'big room' sound, or other kinds of psycho-acoustic effects.

Lastly, modulation is usually right at 100%. If I turn the mic gain up much father than where I currently have it, the distortion becomes very obvious both audibly and on the station monitor scope.

-Bill

That sounds really good! I didn't think you sounded like a dork....lol

Just for starters using a TS-850+DSP100 will sound good,them modified+audio chain,Pee Wee Herman will sound like Barry White :whistle:

The goal is to get decent audio with a cb radio like cobra148,galaxy dx949,rci-2950 or a texas ranger radio,not ham radios,afordable audio without spending over $100.00 to $150.00 in radio+audio gear.

IE: Galaxy 949 $50.00 used

ART Tube Preamp $25.00

Cheap Passive 5 Band EQ $20.00

Audio Technica ATR-30 Mic $25.00

Rat Shack 1:1 Transformer $5.00

DIY Audio Interface Cables w/ Connectors $20.00

Close to $150.00 total.

If we do it like Joe Dirt with a $50.00 radio+$5.00 Condenser Mic+Free Audio Software+$5.00 Rat Shack Transformer+$10.00 DIY Cables

Under $100.00 total

How to hook up to audio gear to your radio is all over the net,unless Joe Dirt wants to share or give us some guidance on how to connect all the equipment together or some other members that been playing with audio gear longer than us.

73 de Tecnicoloco

Just for starters using a TS-850+DSP100 will sound good,them modified+audio chain,Pee Wee Herman will sound like Barry White :whistle:

The goal is to get decent audio with a cb radio like cobra148,galaxy dx949,rci-2950 or a texas ranger radio,not ham radios,afordable audio without spending over $100.00 to $150.00 in radio+audio gear.

IE: Galaxy 949 $50.00 used

ART Tube Preamp $25.00

Cheap Passive 5 Band EQ $20.00

Audio Technica ATR-30 Mic $25.00

Rat Shack 1:1 Transformer $5.00

DIY Audio Interface Cables w/ Connectors $20.00

Close to $150.00 total.

If we do it like Joe Dirt with a $50.00 radio+$5.00 Condenser Mic+Free Audio Software+$5.00 Rat Shack Transformer+$10.00 DIY Cables

Under $100.00 total

How to hook up to audio gear to your radio is all over the net,unless Joe Dirt wants to share or give us some guidance on how to connect all the equipment together or some other members that been playing with audio gear longer than us.

73 de Tecnicoloco

I don't use a isolation transformer, I bypass the Mic amp chain and drive the modulation section with my computer which is 8 ohms not 600 like the mic amp.

I don't use a isolation transformer, I bypass the Mic amp chain and drive the modulation section with my computer which is 8 ohms not 600 like the mic amp.

Did you connect straight to the balanced modulator input? I'm curious if you used a coupling capacitor, and if so what value.

My only quibble with the no-frills approach is the Radio Shack audio transformer. They work, but there's a reason they only cost $5: according to the listed specs, the frequency response is from 300Hz to 5Khz. The 300Hz low end response is pretty mediocre. At the other end of the spectrum, Jensen transformers have a response from below 10Hz to 180Khz, but they cost about $70 each. I'm not sure if there's a compromise anywhere in between.

-Bill

Did you connect straight to the balanced modulator input? I'm curious if you used a coupling capacitor, and if so what value.

My only quibble with the no-frills approach is the Radio Shack audio transformer. They work, but there's a reason they only cost $5: according to the listed specs, the frequency response is from 300Hz to 5Khz. The 300Hz low end response is pretty mediocre. At the other end of the spectrum, Jensen transformers have a response from below 10Hz to 180Khz, but they cost about $70 each. I'm not sure if there's a compromise anywhere in between.

-Bill

Yes I use a coupling cap, and the value depends on the type of radio. Anywhere between 1uf-10uf. On most CB/Exports there is a cap before the carrier adjustment I usually isolate and tie into.

The radio shack transformer would defiantly hurt you on the frequency response, I don't see the need for any transformer using a coupling cap and decent patch cords you shouldn't have any RF interference.

Oh, it occurred to me that when piping your audio directly into the modulation stage of a rig, there's one more limiting factor you may need to take into account: IF filtering.

Previously, JoeDirt mentioned the Galaxy 88. It looks like this radio uses an AN612 balanced modulator, like a lot of SSB rigs (even some ham rigs). If I'm reading things right, then immediately after the modulation stage and before the mixer stage there's a 10.695Mhz crystal filter. I'm not exactly sure what the pass band width of this filter is -- I think it's about 4Khz. If so, and if the transmitted signal goes through this filter, it will limit the TX audio response too. Bypassing it during transmit may improve things for AM, though I'm not sure it's a good idea for SSB.

-Bill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.