• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COMPACtenna 20m/2m/440

It looks similar to Satellite Radio or Cell phone antennas made for UHF. Possibly a good compromise antenna for 2 and 440 for the local repeaters, but I wouldn’t expect much on 20. When a manufacture states “less receiver noise”, it usually equates to low sensitivity. My dummy load also has very low receiver noise.

Talked to a local ham dude that had one of these. He had it on the back corner of his SUV. He said it worked really good. I asked him about the mounting location. Said he initially tried it in the middle on his NMO mount, but SWR wasn't great. He was told to mount it along a corner or edge as it needed some sort of sharp drop-off of the ground plane, or something. Must be something to it. The base model uses, as an option, the Hustler ground plane kit. When using the ground plane, it says to bend the radials down at a 75 degrees.

Central Ohio has a large scanner enthusiast community. One of the members does beta testing and evaluations of everything Uniden builds. Radio Reference has many members locally. I read where this antenna, along with the scanner model get very favorable mentions. I might snag the scanner antenna and see for myself.

COMPACTennaBent.jpg

I have the 2m/440 version on my suv and it works just fine, I can get into all the local and surrounding county repeaters and murs and gmrs frequencies work good for traveling, and its small!!
compactenna.jpg

You didn't have any SWR issues as I mentioned earlier? I see you mounted it in center of top. I'm going to order the scanner model. Putting an old analog scanner in my Jeep tomorrow.

You didn't have any SWR issues as I mentioned earlier? I see you mounted it in center of top. I'm going to order the scanner model. Putting an old analog scanner in my Jeep tomorrow.

I just used that spot because that is where I had my screwdriver antenna with a uhf mount,, I put a uhf-nmo adapter on and put the compactenna on the adapter,,, swr is fine on 2m and 440, not perfect but still under 2:1swr

Reactions: Mudfoot
Most likely get a 5 Star review on Eham:LOL:...by the same people that give store bought EF's and G5RV's...
5 star reviews:whistle::LOL:...
I often wonder what these guys must have used for antennas before, that they rate those antennas so well(screen door on submarine!:rolleyes:)
All the Best
Gary

The thing is those guys are having success with their EF’s and the such and that’s all that matters. Not everyone can have your and CK’s setup. Or even want one.

There is enough negativity on this site without the Admins promoting it.

There's certainly enough enecdotal evidence to suggest these antennas, do indeed work. Obviously, I'm skeptical and don't expect mirror results compared to traditional high gain designs.

I'm willing to trade a little less performance to obtain a small clean install. I don't need every last dB. I just need to work local stuff.

I ordered the scanner antenna. I'm going to compare it against the mobile Spider antenna I have now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.