• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Comparisons, any info would be awesome

roadrage

I still need every radio ever made, lol, but I am getting past the export hype and reverting back to the old school radios. Once they've been freshened up with some new electrolytic caps and an alignment, they seem to perform better than many of the newer radios. Many are very stabile on SSB and have some good and strong audio on AM and SSB. As far as power, a small amp can easily make up that difference.

I am currently and actively looking for a good deal on a Cobra 146 GTL and a 140 GTL. They seem to be less expensive radios. I have watched them sell for $20-$40 + shipping on a regular basis. Of course I never find one when I am ready to buy. I much prefer the 146 GTL because I have no desire to add extra channels, which seems to be the only advantage to the 140GTL. I believe the 146 is a better performer, at least that is what I have been told.

But there are some other radios I am wanting but they go for a bit more money. Can anyone give me some comparison and pros and cons of them?

I would love a Cobra 138XLR. But I have also noticed the 132XLR. Aside from being easier to modify for extra channels, what are some comparisons in audio on AM and SSB, receiver performance, signal to noise ratio, etc.? Can anyone also do a comparison to a Uniden Grant XL/148 GTL? I have a Grant XL, so a comparison between it and the others will help me gauge them better.

Reactions: 1 person

The Cobra 138XLR (and 139XLR ) is a nice radio and when alinged and tuned will bark on AM and SSB.
The 138 has a built in audio speech processor feature that the 148/grant do not have.
On the 139 the mic gain actually sets the clipping input level, and the AMC (set up properly) adds compression for even more talk power.
Great radios.

Jeff

You know? I heard that (speech processor) about the 138 XLR but I had forgotten. Now that you reminded me I really want one.

There were several listings, all at the same time, on EBay a few weeks ago but I didn't have the money. I've been searching since and non have come up. Nor the 132 XLR. Are they decent radios or not much to speak of?

I've a friend who has two or three 146s. Damn things are rock steady on SSB. They simply do NOT drift. With a decent mic on them and a good tuning they can and do sound great.

I always did like the 138 XLR and have had several through the years. Any of the XLR series really. I run a 29 XLR in my big truck and it works as well as the day it was new, not bad for a 35 year old radio in a tough environment.

IIRC the 140s had a different board in them- maybe a Toshiba? They were closer in design to the Trams than the Unidens. Didn't sell too well, probably because there wasn't much of a price difference between them and the more feature-packed and stable 146 /148. I may be wrong on this though

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.