• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Compromise Antennas and QRP

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Currently, I am running a multiband endfed antenna located in my attic using only 10 watts.

Wait a minute! (n)

Compromise antennas don’t perform as well as full-sized models.
Antennas at lower heights don’t perform as well as those mounted higher.
Indoor antennas don’t perform as well as outdoor ones.
100 watts are better than 10 for making contacts.

Won’t argue with any of that.

I just enjoy trying offbeat antennas. For CB, I’ve made ground planes, horizontal dipoles and inverted V dipoles using 4’ Firestiks; and on the ham HF bands I’ve used a Buddistick and an Alexloop. Am looking into a Tak-tenna and currently putting together a 20-meter ground mounted vertical using a MFJ-1620T and four wire radials. Before you wince and/or poke fun, remember--that's what I'm havin'. Fun.

I have an Icom 7200 but enjoy operating QRP (10 watts or less). Do my contacts have to work harder? In most cases, they do. Thankfully, a great many operators enjoy the challenge and the effort required to work QRP stations.

The hobbies of Ham and CB radio are not singular one-way streets. In each you'll find a main roadway accompanied by side streets, backstreets, intersections, turnabouts, road closures and alleys. I prefer the backstreets and alleys. :)

"Life is too short for QRP."
Heck, "Life is too short, period." :D

Peace.
Jim

Reactions: M0GVZ

However you choose to operate the most important thing is that you're having fun. I don't mind working qrp stations to make a contact. The ones that know they are weak and want to make a 5 minute transmission are brutal.

I've had a couple of people get mad when I gave them an honest signal report. Since they were hearing me they must have thought I didn't want to talk to them. One night on 75 a guy was calling me and I didn't hear him. He went on a rant about how I needed get off the radio until I fixed my antenna so I could hear people. I didn't hear most of it but a friend that could relayed the message.. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?