• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connect any GPS-RX to the FTM-350?

Eselchen

Aug 14, 2010
Hi folks,
I've bought the FTM-350E as I've been told, that any GPS-Mouse could be conntected to the rig. On studying the manual I had to notice, that I've to purchase the optionally FGPS-1 or FGPS-2 with additional equipment (CT-133,CT-136). The FGPS-1 is no choice, because the control head ist mounted in the console of my car. The FGPS-2 with equipment will cost about 180€ additionally. Furthermore I've an working GPS-RX with top-roof-antenna working in the car since about 5 years. So I took a look in the schematics and I think, that this GPS-RX could be connected to the control head.
Does anyone have any experiences with connecting an other RX to the control head?

73 de Kai DL1GJJ

FTM-350 & GPS

While there are data cables available for the FTM-350 such as the CT-140, -141 and -142, seen on page #38 of the APRS Manual for the FTM-350 found here:
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=33C814E3D04C92310507ECDE68CC3C01&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

None of these are for GPS interfacing it would seem but for TNC / Packet comms. When I installed the internal GPS it was a tiny circuit board plugged into a VERY Tiny ribbon cable. To try and interface an existing GPS to that series of connections would be madness in my opinion...just not worth the risk or effort :headbang. A couple of other thoughts:

-Depending on your vehicle, you may find that the internal GPS does just fine in the console. GPS devices' ability to acquire sats has advanced a LOT in the last few years in my experience

-It is a separate-able head after all...perhaps you want to find a way to mount it with a better view. I mounted mine in an SUV with a Lido brand gooseneck bolted to the passenger seat rail front left bolt....works great and is just about a foot higher than the console with a good view to the windshield.

-Lastly, the external GPS and cable are a nice option...I use it with my VX-8DR when travelling and a little spot of velcro dot puts it right in the windshield view and it works great!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hello, Phil,
thanks for your answer.
Don't worry about the effort... it's my daily work :D .
To your suggestions about the control head's position: a gooseneck or the originally suction mount havn't been any choice for me. I mounted it intentionally it in the console not to be in an fishbowl.... and even beyond the car's radio, so there is no sky view for the FGPS-1.
So I really took a look for the FGPS-2. But the costs of this with the necessary cable and mounting toys are too much expensive (~180€ :mad:), even I do have a GPS-RX working with 9k6 NMEA-protocol in my car since about 5 years. My RX outputs GGA, ,GLL, GSV, RMC, VTG at 3.3V. So this might work together, if the protocols fit, or am I wrong?

73 de Kai DL1GJJ

GPS I/F

Kai- I'll have the leave the NMEA specs for someone who knows more about them than I do. You might consider calling Yaesu in Europe or in the US and just asking.

Good luck.

An external GPS can be connected to the data port of the radio starting with firmware v1.2 issued Nov 2010.
K4MCK

what GPS is a good choice?

Does the radio add Points of Interest to the GPS for other stations? Also, what's the best GPS if I'm looking for that kind of functionality?

Does the radio add Points of Interest to the GPS for other stations? Also, what's the best GPS if I'm looking for that kind of functionality?

Not sure about the first part of your question, but I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and it is very easy to upload custom POIs to the unit. I've used POI Factory with good results.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.