• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connecting a TE-32 CTCSS Tone box to 5054dx

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
A few years ago I bought an RCI-5054dx. I was interested in connecting a Tone board to it so I could work 6m repeaters. Paul- CDX-8412 came to my rescue. He photographed the process. I would like to share it here that someone may receive help from what Paul shared with me. Thanks Paul !

te32.jpg

1. Locate a row of 9 eyelets on the right front section of the main pcb. These eyelets are labeled as follows:
AF I/P; AF O/P, GA, SQ, 8V O/P, PTT, GND, MOD I/P, MOD O/P
2. Wire as below:

TE-32 CTCSS Encoder Connection points on the radio + Voltage (Red) Collector of Q49 (TX+)
(This will allow the TE-32 to start encoding in less than 10ms) Ground (Blk) Gnd Eyelet CTCSS Output (White) Base of Q28 with a 100K Ohm resistor in series Shield Ground (main PCB) http://www.rangerusa.com/ctcss.html#te32

The above is from the Ranger site. The attachment at the bottom is where the points of connection are located.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1292-white-wire-photo-shows-white-wire-100k-ohm-resistor-soldered-end-white-wire-wrapped-heatshrink-soldered-base-q28-you-can-see-base-leg-closest-front-radio-picture-oriented-so-front-radio-your-left-lead-resistor-soldered-base-q28.jpg

white wire-
This photo shows the white wire (100K ohm resistor soldered on to end of
white wire, and wrapped in heatshrink
) (
+/- 10%
my resistor is brown, black, green then gold ) soldered to the
base of Q28. You can see that the base is the leg that is closest to the
front of the radio (the picture is oriented so that the front of the radio
is to your left). The lead from the resistor is soldered to the base of Q28.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1294-red-wire-here-red-wire-soldered-collector-q49-collector-single-leg-q49-opposite-side-has-3-legs.jpg

red wire-
here is the red wire, soldered to the collector of Q49.
The collector is the single leg of Q49, the opposite side has 3 legs.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1291-black-wire-photo-shows-black-wire-soldered-8v-o-p-eyelet-board.jpg

Black Wire-

This photo shows the black wire ground eyelet on the board.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1293-shield-here-i-have-shield-soldered-top-crystal.jpg

shield-

here, I have the shield soldered to the top of the crystal. ( It also shows how the white wire is routed with the 100k ohm resistor with heatshrink. )

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1295-picture-you-can-see-how-i-ran-wiring-out-radio.jpg

in this picture, you can see how I ran the wiring out of the radio.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1296-5054-mount-how-paul-mounted-te-32-mine-mounted-top-velcro.jpg

5054 mount-

This is how Paul mounted the TE-32. (Mine is mounted on top with Velcro.)

Ranger states this will also work on the RCI-2950DX/70DX/95DX PCB

Attachments

• 5054board.jpg
    5054board.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,013

A few years ago I bought an RCI-5054dx. I was interested in connecting a Tone board to it so I could work 6m repeaters. Paul- CDX-8412 came to my rescue. He photographed the process. I would like to share it here that someone may receive help from what Paul shared with me. Thanks Paul !

te32.jpg

1. Locate a row of 9 eyelets on the right front section of the main pcb. These eyelets are labeled as follows:
AF I/P; AF O/P, GA, SQ, 8V O/P, PTT, GND, MOD I/P, MOD O/P
2. Wire as below:

TE-32 CTCSS Encoder Connection points on the radio + Voltage (Red) Collector of Q49 (TX+)
(This will allow the TE-32 to start encoding in less than 10ms) Ground (Blk) Gnd Eyelet CTCSS Output (White) Base of Q28 with a 100K Ohm resistor in series Shield Ground (main PCB) http://www.rangerusa.com/ctcss.html#te32

The above is from the Ranger site. The attachment at the bottom is where the points of connection are located.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1292-white-wire-photo-shows-white-wire-100k-ohm-resistor-soldered-end-white-wire-wrapped-heatshrink-soldered-base-q28-you-can-see-base-leg-closest-front-radio-picture-oriented-so-front-radio-your-left-lead-resistor-soldered-base-q28.jpg

white wire-
This photo shows the white wire (100K ohm resistor soldered on to end of
white wire, and wrapped in heatshrink
) (
+/- 10%
my resistor is brown, black, green then gold ) soldered to the
base of Q28. You can see that the base is the leg that is closest to the
front of the radio (the picture is oriented so that the front of the radio
is to your left). The lead from the resistor is soldered to the base of Q28.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1294-red-wire-here-red-wire-soldered-collector-q49-collector-single-leg-q49-opposite-side-has-3-legs.jpg

red wire-
here is the red wire, soldered to the collector of Q49.
The collector is the single leg of Q49, the opposite side has 3 legs.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1291-black-wire-photo-shows-black-wire-soldered-8v-o-p-eyelet-board.jpg

Black Wire-

This photo shows the black wire ground eyelet on the board.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1293-shield-here-i-have-shield-soldered-top-crystal.jpg

shield-

here, I have the shield soldered to the top of the crystal. ( It also shows how the white wire is routed with the 100k ohm resistor with heatshrink. )

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1295-picture-you-can-see-how-i-ran-wiring-out-radio.jpg

in this picture, you can see how I ran the wiring out of the radio.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture1296-5054-mount-how-paul-mounted-te-32-mine-mounted-top-velcro.jpg

5054 mount-

This is how Paul mounted the TE-32. (Mine is mounted on top with Velcro.)

Ranger states this will also work on the RCI-2950DX/70DX/95DX PCB

how does one access the photos re this mod., biug red x in each photo cannot be removed??
tnx/73
Jerry VE3EXT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.