• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connecting a VHF radio to computer....?

Is it as simple as just downloading some new software to get up and running with digital SSTV?

if you already have some sort of interface, like you would use with analog sstv, psk, ect (or any of the "soundcard" type software), then yes.

actually it is a little easier than analog sstv, there is no need to calibrate your sound card clock.
go here: Welcome To KC1CS Home Page and look for EASYPAL download it and have fun

Last edited:
Highlander',
Is getting started with SSTV easy? Yes and no. If all you want to do is sort of get a 'taste' of it, it really isn't hard at all. A cable between radio speaker and the input to the sound card is all that's really needed. Actually, if you have a mic connected to the sound card, just placing it close to the radio's speaker will get you some input. Not the best by any means, but it'll work.
When you're ready to send pictures (Oh yes you will!), it get's a bit more complicated because radio transmitters and computers don't exactly love each other. So, you sort of have to isolate/filter out that interaction between the two. Not impossible by any stretch of the imagination, just the same old RFI stuff, except it's YOUR stuff getting interfered with. How's that for a change, huh? If you don't care for building stuff, just throw money at it and get an interface. Some are 'better' than others, more convenient to use, sort of. Even though they work just fine, the "nomic", 'No Microphone' type, means no 'voice' ability and that gets really aggravating. 'Pass' on those if you can. How can you brag on yours, or 'poo-poo' their's if you can't talk? Oh well.
I said I'd quit, and this time I will... maybe.
- 'Doc

Doc,

I already have analog SSTV working here, with interface, computer, radio, and software (MMSSTV).

I was asking about Digital SSTV. Hookedon6 posted that all I need is the digital software "Easypal" and I'm all set. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Let us know more about Easypal when you get it going. I stumbled on that software last week and installed it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Let us know more about Easypal when you get it going. I stumbled on that software last week and installed it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

after you install EASYPAL, everything is pretty straight forward. input your call in the setup menu and set the comm port.
the software will auto detect if your comm port is already in use and if you enter a port that is already in use it will tell you, so just enter the next one 'till it accepts it.

also keep the WAV audio slider and the LINE IN (or mike in) sliders about the same level.

when xmitting do NOT use any compression and keep the ALC deflection at a minimum.

about the only "digital" on 2 mtrs. is packet, yeah? i think :unsure:

dont know about your area , but most "packet"
around here on 2 mtrs , is APRS now

I miss the old packet , used to run quite a bit of it
actually handled a fair bit of H and W Traffic
for the local families in my little town during
Desert Storm ,
got traffic in and out for the troops from our area

Very Gratifying !to send a message out and receive a reply
within 12 hours , Cool as hell ,
internet pretty much killed it ,

BTW , its Packet radio that pioneered computers in cop cars
dunno if thats good or bad :blushing:

looks like i need to get busy and get my interface repaired
and try some of this digitv, :drool:

There are people running all sorts of digital modes wsjt and psk etc on VHF and above, just on SSB. I wouldn't say it's a hotbed of activity, but it is there. It can be fun as the band is in general so underutilized that you can run quite wide modes without bothering anyone....just don't do it on a VHF contest weekend ;-)

Packet (VHF/UHF packet is FM) is still worth exploring and IMO being capable of though there is little in the way of interactive human activity on there...at least in NJ/NY metro area. Packet can come in very handy if you really get hit hard and have a need to do data transfer in a disaster.

Even bringing APRS up at home can be fun to just leave idling and see who passes through the area. With more and more radios having it all integrated, I think it might become more common.

It is still much more effective for larger bulletins and announcements to be passed via packet rather than using voice. Depending on what you have available you can have databases and other applications running as well.

in order to not hi-jack daves thread:blush:, i started an EASYPAL thread in the digital area of the forum and put enough info in it ('till i got tired of typing:p) to get most people started
jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.