• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

connex 3300 final upgrade

Trainwreck

Aug 4, 2012
i recently got a connex 3300 ( with the heat sink , probally hp version) anyway it has mitubishi finals in and i was wondering how if possible to change those to fets and possibly get more output on final power, an suggestions would be helpful. thanks for all your help and info

not worth doing in my opinion ,the very little gain you will get will never be noticed on the other side .
money better spent on a small amp if you want more power .

Reactions: 1 person
Well I do not think all MOSFET`s suck, but the radio needs to be designed from the ground up to use them.
What we often see now is removing half the parts from the PA section of the radio, and hacking in some cheap MOSFET replacement in the hope of gaining a couple more watts, that as Fnky has said will never been seen on the other end..........

Jeff

I think the old school final radio's are the ones to hang on to, mosfets pretty much suck.

Ok. It works fine with finals it has now, just after a while of using it on high pwr and echo on it goes to humming real bad. If i could figure this out it would be a great lil radio.

could be a cold or broken solder joint in the radio(pretty common) .open it up on the solder side and look around the ground to frame solder connection points for a obvious break .
it helps to take a jewelers loupe and look closely at these connections as sometimes its not as visible to the naked eye .

check for loose board screws too,give them a little tweak, make sure they are snug .

if that turns up nothing try a different mic .
also check and verify the swr is good when this humming starts to occur .

if none of that helps i would suspect a bad audio chip or regulator getting too hot .

Ok. It works fine with finals it has now, just after a while of using it on high pwr and echo on it goes to humming real bad. If i could figure this out it would be a great lil radio.

If the radio has another issue going on then a mosfet final mod won't solve that problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.