• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 4300-300 First Impressions (and then some)

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
Well, I got this thing from Copper today.

RF Power is completely turned down with stock mic, and the mic gain on the radio is at 12 o'clock.

...It works like a champ (so far)!

The only thing I haven't tested on it is the echo, which I will get to soon enough.

I ordered a D-104 hand mic with the radio, but it's not working at present. Am sending it back for repair on Monday.

I notice bleed over from channel 19 when I'm on 20. I don't get that on my Kenwood TS-2000.

First on-air reports have me putting out 1-2 db more than before with very good (though not excellent) modulation... I had the TS-2000 set at 10 watts output - which is where the Connex should be now. ...All with no power mic (should I turn the mic gain past 12 o'clock when not using a power mic)?

I had the technician who worked on my radio set it to not exceed 100% modulation on the "high" side.

Finally, SWR is 1:1 on the TS-2000 and accompanying feedline. On the 4300-300, SWR soars to 1:7 (using different feedline).

Will have to tinker with it (possibly), but 1:7 isn't the end of the world!!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

I have not checked to see if the limiter is intact.

73, Snake Eyes

That would be a rediculous comparison waste of time that HF rig like all of mine have some klickass filtering with options to boot. That Glorified CB / Export is what it is my collection of CB Exports I refer to as toys though I still enjoy messing with them from time to time.

Update... I have things set at 50 RMS, ~250 Swing.

I'm using a Daiwa CN-101L SWR/Power Meter with PEP Measurement.

Fingers crossed... there have been no neighbor complaints.

Yeah... These exports are pretty much toys.

Snake Eyes waving a hand...

73's!!

if those are toys , what are hf's then ? A better toy for somewhere else ? 500 some odd dollars later . That's a whole lot of toy !

Well in another post I explained this money issue I have with someone spending $600.00 on an export all done up like some of these new models for example (Magnum S980) when you can buy an HF rig for the same amount. well as I said I like my CB radios to but given the choice between having my Galaxy 2527, RCI 2990, one of my Cobra 2000 or my Yaesu 990 as a base radio Ide 990 it hands down If the choice wqs given i had to get rid of my mobiles 2950, 2510, Cobra 148's Unidens pc122's and some others I have and one of my Yaesu FT-840's or Kenwood TS-50S it would be one of the 840 or TS-50. I say this because of filtering and options ETC. As I said I like my CB radios but prefer my HF radios if it came down to it. M whole thing is what there getting for some of these CB's these days is about the same as what you would pay for a nice HF radio

Switch Kit,
Hmm, you're right, expensive toys. But then, they cover at least 9 more fairly widely separated bands -well-. Some, as the TS-2000, have a built in tuner, very handy! Are very 'clean', and very accurate (to six decimal places?). And most have receiving options that I seriously doubt if ever show up on a "CB/Export" radio. Most, but not the TS-2000, are about the same size as a typical "CB/export" radio so mounting them are about the same. Except for the QRP 'toys', almost all of them offer 100 watts with -no- modifications.
They do really have a few 'cons' too. You DO have to read the manual! All those options are not easily found, or understood after you find them. They do cost more, but there's no way around it, all those 'options' are going to cost more. Most are not all that 'impressive' to look at, won't find all those gold knobs to add on later. Will almost always have meters/read-outs that are a mystery unless you've done some studying/thinking. And maybe the biggest disadvantage, they all require that license to use fully.
Then again, they typically offer the ability to do a bunch of different modes, not just AM/FM/SSB. Of course, some of those modes are very impractical for a mobile. Not many of us have a portable computer that we can drag along in a mobile. Or a digital camera that would allow you to do video stuff, SSTV, fast scan TV, fax, that stuff. So no great loss, right? Can't use repeater phone patching for commercial stuff anyway ("Hey bud, wazzup? Just passing through, thought I'd call and tell a bunch of lies to make you jealous.", sort of thingy, you know?)
What's that saying 'they' have? About the differences, and the price of your toys?
But you are right!
- 'Doc

I have to Agree, if you spend over $400 on a SSB Radio, it is better to start looking at the Small HF rigs.
Better RX, cleaner TX, A lot more features...And the ability to move up if you really enjoy Radio.

You can find lots of HF rigs in the $400/$500 range, in good shape on the radio forums and E-Bay.
Local Swapmeets/hamfests are a good place to look as well.

Jeff

AUDIO thats exactly what I am trying to say or get at. I am in no means throwing stones at anyone buying or spending money on CB / EXPORT radios nore am I saying anyone is agnorrant or stupid I have alot of CB radios myself but after you run ANY OF THE HF RIGS YOU BECOME PARTIAL TO THEM AND NOTICE THE POINTS I HAVE PUT OUT THERE. I DO AS I SAID SWITCH RADIOS AROUND FROM TIME TO TIME BUT ALWAYS END UP BACK ON ONE OF MY HF RIGS. ;)

Would I guess to say once your back on your pride and joy HF rigs that your far away from the 11 meter band ? I do understand that some of those radios are very much supereor over your 11 meter type radios , I have heard a few over the years on the 11 meter band AM side and never once did I think they sounded very good there as far as there audio was concerned, although I have heard many over the years on SSB 11 meter where they sounded very good. I always used to say that I would never need a 500 dollar radio on a 5 dollar frequancy. ;) Peace

I'm glad the radio seems to be working and your happy. I also see they did not let me down by getting some part of the deal wrong right off the bat, hope they fix the mic for you.

Turn the mic gain up until people say thats too much, with a power mic you will just have to tinker with the settings until people tell you to leave it right there.

Did you actually inquire what their tune-up consists of? The only reason I ask is a fair number of places will convert and Export, bump the modulation pot, tweek a coil or can for max swing and then pronounce the radio "tuned". The reason I ask is of all the radio's I have had the 2-3 that stood out as the best were the ones that got a COMPLETE ALIGNMENT. Two locals can have the same radio, one is wall to wall and the other is average or ok sounding. THAT is the difference.

Time for you to enjoy that new radio now.

I have heard a few over the years on the 11 meter band AM side and never once did I think they sounded very good

Sorry that you never got to hear My FT 101E, or My Ft 101B on Am.
I used to get a few compliments running those ham rigs...something along the lines of
Rod Knocking Audio...
10-8 And Smoking....
Damm! an AudioShockwav just rocked the west side...
Stuff like that.
;)
I heard My share Of Kenwoods that sounded great on AM as well.
You can crank the Speech processor up, bump the Mic Gain, and wire a D-104 to most ham rigs and make them scream....most guys just don`t.

Jeff

Butcher 318 et al:

I actually did inquire with Copper! I was on the phone with them about 5 times.

I don't know all that we covered 100%, but my main concern was that I was getting the right tune-up.

Of course, the channel conversion was a given, and outside from that, I don't remember all what else we covered.

In any event, I was satisfied with the tech's explanation of Copper's services, which included an on-air test.

But ANYWAY, with one day on this radio.... I am looking to part with it believe it or not!

I paid $602 for the radio modified/tuned/etc. with a D-104 mic (which will be repaired)... and I'd really like to downgrade.

Why?

Because I am interested in the Galaxy 93T.

It seems that I didn't listen to the locals enough when it came to radio selection.

Thus, I really got more AM radio than I need, and no SSB - if ya know what I mean.

I think I will post this puppy for sale in the appropriate section.

So, have at it flamers.....

In the long run, I still have my TS-2000, which will still stay by my side.

73, Snake Eyes
(waving a hand)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.