• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

connex 4400

noman

Oct 17, 2009
Hello I'm new to the forum.

A friend has a Connex 4400. He started having problems with the he said it
was the mike but I'm thinking coax. He kept talking on it now it won't transmit or receive.
He said before it quit it slowly started getting quieter and quieter. Like someone was turning down the volume. Any ideas on what happened to it?

Last edited:

noman,
From what you said it sounds like it took out the final stage. Do you have a watt meter?
Has the SWR on the antenna been checked?
The finals can short and also take down the receive.

Does the radio show any power out on the S/RF meter?

I haven't looked at the radio. He's not going to fix it so I thought about buying it and fixing it.

this is problem i posted on cbtrix.com

my 4300 is about 3yrs old, don't use everyday sometime months between use. primarily for hunting. it is mounted in my vehicle attached to wilson 5000. Radio has worked fine up till now. When i turn it on initially it is full volume no matter where volume know is set to. Within 2 minutes it quiets down to a whisper almost and i can turn the squelch knob and that does nothing. I say it doesn't recieve because i cant hear anything but static really high at first turn on then gradually it quiets down by itself. I can key mike and it breaks squelch and my meter will swing but i can't tell if i am getting out. Please any help would be nice and i am not very literate to some of the terms i have read here, so just bear with me if i ask questions please

I'm not really sure about your problem. Try looking at your coax first, It might be getting pinched somewhere. If thats not it then have someone look at your radio.

My findings on those radios is bad solder joints.If the lights on the radio is dim when turned on,then you can suspect a shorted final.I've owned a lot of the connex radios.First thing i'd do with one is go over all of the solder joints.Had very few problems if any at all after that.

i think it is a cold solder joint, i took it apart at work and the board looked warped because i think they used a torque wrench to tighten the screws in it. All i did was loosen all the frame screws then snug them back down to get board out the bind and put it back together. It is working fine now. I am sure it will show again, if it does it will be time to get the solder iron out

Theres an IC (Chip) located on the side of the chasis. Its 8 legs in a row. The chip will read ta7222ap. Resolder the legs of this IC to the board. And for that matter resolder all the transistors that are mounted to the chasis. This is the number one cause for galaxy/connex failures. The chasis and PCB flex from vibration and temperature difference and litterally pull the legs right off the pcb's. Do this and your problem will be solved! right now all you did was allow the leg to touch the solder joint but it doesnt have a good contact. The problem will show again on cold mornings. GL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.