• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 4800 dxl

Nov 2, 2015
Just got this radio from the local flea market still in the box (40.00). It appears to work great. Has the white meter and blue lights. I'd say this radio was not used much. The clarifier has been unlocked. The course knob always wants to go back to the center notch. At center the TX is xx.xxx3 or xx.xxx2. When I make that small adjustment back to 0 which is a tad off center it wants to go back to the center notch. Is there any easy fix here? Also this happens no mater the temp of the radio. I'm not trying to get into the debate of unlock or not. I always want the clarifier unlocked. Just want to fix this problem.

Just got this radio from the local flea market still in the box (40.00). It appears to work great. Has the white meter and blue lights. I'd say this radio was not used much. The clarifier has been unlocked. The course knob always wants to go back to the center notch. At center the TX is xx.xxx3 or xx.xxx2. When I make that small adjustment back to 0 which is a tad off center it wants to go back to the center notch. Is there any easy fix here? Also this happens no mater the temp of the radio. I'm not trying to get into the debate of unlock or not. I always want the clarifier unlocked. Just want to fix this problem.

Sounds like you got a bargain price for it. Any photos of the radio. I also have one plus an earlier version of the same radio the Cobra 148F GTLDX+

Have it aligned by a reputable shop. That's the only fix. I don't think the clarifier has been modified. I had one of these several years ago and I believe the coarse clarifier is unlocked out of the box and the fine tracks RX only. Nice find.

Got mine imported from the US. I am in the UK. The radio was mint in the box and had very little use. Not many around over here. Fantastic radios in my opinion.

Have it aligned by a reputable shop. That's the only fix. I don't think the clarifier has been modified. I had one of these several years ago and I believe the coarse clarifier is unlocked out of the box and the fine tracks RX only. Nice find.
Yes that's what will have to be done. I hoping there would be some kinda " rubber band and popsicle stick" fix like my dad would say

Got mine imported from the US. I am in the UK. The radio was mint in the box and had very little use. Not many around over here. Fantastic radios in my opinion.
I have been using it alot since I hooked it up. Nothing but good reports. odd thing is I always wanted the 148f gtl. So odd I came across this. I have found alot of goodies at that market over the years.

I think one of those clarifier conrols has the "notch" or indent built in so it kinda clicks into the 12:00 place. The other does not have this so it can be set at say 12:05 or 11:50 so to speak. The only fix is have the radio aligned at room temperature. That is a nice radio but it will drift some when on SSB, once warmed up it should be ok. As I recall they made two versions of that radio, one with echo and one with out. The 4800dxl is pretty much a Galaxy 88HL.

I think one of those clarifier conrols has the "notch" or indent built in so it kinda clicks into the 12:00 place. The other does not have this so it can be set at say 12:05 or 11:50 so to speak. The only fix is have the radio aligned at room temperature. That is a nice radio but it will drift some when on SSB, once warmed up it should be ok. As I recall they made two versions of that radio, one with echo and one with out. The 4800dxl is pretty much a Galaxy 88HL.
Yes I was bucket mouthing with some locals tonight and the center notch was xx.xxx1. So that's the fix. I also have a RCI 6900F 150. Pretty much the same radio too. It has the notch, it's not as tight though.

This one has echo. All of 12 bands on the same knob.

Very nice find. Hope you get many years of service out of it.

Does it have a heat sink on the back?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.