• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Considering Ranger 2950 or 2970n2

Well..

2950 & 2970N2 are pretty much the same radio.
Biggest Difference is the Power they have to use.

If you are set one one or the other..
Given you are typically using for 4-10 miles range..
The 2950 should be well more then fine (of course you likely want to do the 11 meter mod )

Not sure what antenna you are using ( they also make a Huge Difference ) but you should know both the 2950 & 2970N2 are splash boxes and basically Ok radios ( Good for going beyond a typical " C.B. " ... but still not a Great radio )

Although i had used a 2970 for quite awhile & a friend is using the newer 2970DX (in his car).. Both had neighbors complaining Lots.

However..
Of these "TYPES" of radios..
(in using them myself even )

i have found ( Although admittedly hard to find perhaps) the AR-3300 / AR-3500 (of which given your need for 4 to 10 miles range) the 30 watt AR-3300 will do Extremely well (these are far better built radio's then the newer version (from a company that started out the same as the ar-3300/ar-3500 radios..changing hands along the way and becoming owned by the people now making the 2950/2970 radios ).

You mentioned perhaps MURS frequency radios
Although they likely would do Ok on the 3-5 mile range
i would Not be too sure of it being consistently so in the 5-10 mile range (for mobiles...for bases with good antennas then likely so)

Even though you didnt mention it..
Same would be so typically of FRS/GMRS
Unless you (and the other drivers) were accessing a GMRS repeater

if that is the case then maybe GMRS (but not those garbage blister pack HT like radio's)

If you ( and the other drives you talk with wanted to get and or have already) ham licenses then simply dual band (or single band ) VHF/UHF radios would work very well (could cost more depending on what radios you went to..or could cost less as well if you stay with the more straight forward radios)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.