• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Considering the sale of my Yaesu FT-990

LOL, you have a point, there. I'm always concerned about electronics sitting idle. You know, climate variances, etc. I suppose I could leave it on the bench and just power it up now and then and leave it for a few hours to warm it up and dry it out.

I kind of get it. I have 2 HF, and several 2M rigs radios that don't really get much use. 2m gets more attention than the HF. I do listen to them now and again, but my first radio was a CB 23 AM channel, and I have several CB's now. The simplicity of CB radios, at least the older radios is kind of key. With my SSB or AM CB's, I can turn it on and listen and talk with little attention being paid to controls, and talk. I tune to the channel I want, adjust the clarifier if needed and enjoy. Simplicity. I do have a ticket as well.
Plus, and I have stated this before, I think talking CB to CB has a better sound to me.
I read through a lot of the posts here and see the direction of CB being able to adjust every aspect of the radio from panel controls, which can be good or bad as I read about different settings degrading or enhancing performance. I just like the bare bones CB operation.
The amateur ticket is nice to have, but, something about the CB frequencies, whether it's nostalgic or what appeals to me more...and I think from the amount of hams down on the "Chicken Band" it must have the same effect for some of them.
First love kinda thing.

I kind of get it. I have 2 HF, and several 2M rigs radios that don't really get much use. 2m gets more attention than the HF. I do listen to them now and again, but my first radio was a CB 23 AM channel, and I have several CB's now. The simplicity of CB radios, at least the older radios is kind of key. With my SSB or AM CB's, I can turn it on and listen and talk with little attention being paid to controls, and talk. I tune to the channel I want, adjust the clarifier if needed and enjoy. Simplicity. I do have a ticket as well.
Plus, and I have stated this before, I think talking CB to CB has a better sound to me.
I read through a lot of the posts here and see the direction of CB being able to adjust every aspect of the radio from panel controls, which can be good or bad as I read about different settings degrading or enhancing performance. I just like the bare bones CB operation.
The amateur ticket is nice to have, but, something about the CB frequencies, whether it's nostalgic or what appeals to me more...and I think from the amount of hams down on the "Chicken Band" it must have the same effect for some of them.
First love kinda thing.
Plus, the newer 10 meter radios are so good now that it seems like a lot of money wasting away by having an HF rig sitting idle. I'm running a Stryker 955 for my main rig now and it's on freq., NEVER drifts and I get rave audio reviews. What's not to like? I mean, I love having the FT-990 sitting under the Stryker, but do I really need a $700.00 riser for my CB?

Reactions: Smokinone
Do you have a total $ shipped to 76556
Thanks
HOLY MOLY!!! Shipping is ridiculous now!! Shipping will be $90.00 thru FedEx and well over $100 thru USPS. I won't mention UPS.
I would have to get $745.00 total. Pay Pal F&F only. I can supply extensive pics if you like.
This also includes the DC and AC cords, and the Yaesu DVS system option, along with the original mic.

HOLY MOLY!!! Shipping is ridiculous now!! Shipping will be $90.00 thru FedEx and well over $100 thru USPS. I won't mention UPS.
I would have to get $745.00 total. Pay Pal F&F only. I can supply extensive pics if you like.
This also includes the DC and AC cords, and the Yaesu DVS system option, along with the original mic.
Thanks for.the reply, out of my price range, wish it wasn't, just what I need

UPS used to be the affordable way to ship, but has really spiked. FEDEX has become the lower cost, and probably the gentlest of the 3 in my experience.
I'm pretty sure the fuel/energy prices have had a lot to do with it.

Shipping has gotten astronomical, just wait until you buy an antenna that's oversized....
I know. I used to ship my radios to Mike's in PA for repairs and tune-ups. Used to cost me about $15 to 25 depending on the radio. Now, a package like that is nearly $100.00. This 990 is to be expected, though. It's weighing in at about 37 pounds, plus the insurance and signature.

UPS used to be the affordable way to ship, but has really spiked. FEDEX has become the lower cost, and probably the gentlest of the 3 in my experience.
I'm pretty sure the fuel/energy prices have had a lot to do with it.

Yes, I used to use them, along with USPS Priority. If I add the insurance and signature to USPS it's about $125.00 to Texas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated