• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Convert the extension cb jack to line out audio

Techno1

Feb 21, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi.

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions to convert a cb radio extension speaker jack to a low level line out audio?

Just needs to be 1 channel as the ext jack is.

I need this for recording purposes as the regular audio is over powering and does not sound good so was hoping to try line audio level to see if that would help.

thanks

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

How about getting something like a Behringer 802 mixer, feeding it into the 2 track phono input on that? The Q802USB also has USB output and appears as a USB soundcard which would make recording on PC so much simpler. It has parametric EQ too so you can tweak the audio to take out some of the hiss and make it more intelligible.

Hi

Thanks for the reply but I have a special recorder board that takes line in to record that is built into a project box. It also has a built in mic on it to either record with mic or line in. So that is what im after been looking and there are pre made adapters from speaker audio to line audio but cant find a schematic to make one myself.

thanks again

Just tap into the audio circuit before the amplifier and use a capacitor to prevent loading down the circuit. A schematic of the radio will tell you exactly where to do this

Reactions: sunbulls
I know i can do that but dont want to. Im looking to get something made in a project box so I can use on different cb radios with the ext jack and the 1/8 speaker plug. So i need something small that can be put in line with the cb audio > convert to line audio and then into recorder. And hope it will work with a much better recording.

then just build a simple 8 ohm audio attenuator with in/out and sample jacks. easy!
Or just buy one, even easier

Hi.

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions to convert a cb radio extension speaker jack to a low level line out audio?

Just needs to be 1 channel as the ext jack is.

I need this for recording purposes as the regular audio is over powering and does not sound good so was hoping to try line audio level to see if that would help.

thanks
honestly when i was pretty young I vaugely remember just putting a 10k resistor from audio out to mic in...that was 50 years ago though...good luck

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Perhaps you could build an atenuator based on the headphone jack in a uniden washington, dont have the schematics but maybe you could find them. I have been tinking of doing this to plug my cb into the aux line in of my ford escape.

Great idea ill look into that thanks but i thing they grab the line audio before the audio chip and would not help in the external jack out to lower to line level.

Line in has a typical impedance of 10kΩ and the line out that drives it should be around 600Ω. You could use an audio transformer that converts the 8Ω output to 600Ω. A resistive attenuator pad might also work. Maybe something like an 8Ω shunt resistor across the ext jack with a 600Ω series resistor feeding the line in, that has worked for me in the past...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated