• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cool Accessories for the KX3

KF6IRK

Kapt. Irk
Mar 2, 2013
So Cal
I saw a KX3 for sale on ebay that had some aftermarket side plates that incorporated grab handles and a lexan face cover. I emailed the seller and he told me he found them on the Elecraft mailing list.

In viewing some of the posts on that list, I also found that some folks had added some other pretty neat accessories that I thought I'd share here:

Lapel mic:

MIC3.jpg

Short goose neck mic:

MIC.jpg

An even shorter 90 degree 'turn your KX3 into a hand held walkie talkie' style mic:

mic2.jpg

I now regret spending $59 for the OEM hand mic since seeing several types of small electret condenser mics that only cost a few bucks from many ebay vendors.

... and this little LiOn 6800mAh battery pack (for less than $25.)

BATTf47.jpg

Still haven't found where to acquire the grab handle/side plates, but I'm definitely gonna order all of the mics and one of the battery packs. For the price, how can one go wrong ???

Reactions: 1 person

I really like that goose neck mic! I might have to order one of those...just 'cause. Is that an ebay item?

I finally got to hold and operate one of these a couple days ago. I made a few 40 meter CW contacts before handing it back. I do like it, but find it awkward to hold. The attached paddles had a nice feel. I had a death grip on it, so as to not drop it.

OK, so I ordered the following items this AM

The sideplate/cover combo from Gem Products - $75.88 with shipping & tax :cry:

... and the following items from ebay:

A 2-pack of goose-neck microphones from 'relaypod' - $3.95 including tax

A SM-751 headset/boom mic combo from 'hi-etech' for a mere $5.25

CM026_001.jpg

A 12v, 6800mAh LiOn battery pack from 'onsalezone2013' for $22.36

LiOn.JPG

and a 12v, 6800mAh LiPo battery pack for $21.03 from 'shcfstore'

12v-re-battery-6800-01.jpg

I'll conduct tests with both of these battery packs to determine which chemistry works best.

Yes, the combination is pricey. I only got the side plates. Put the money saved into a Pelican #1400 case. Got a little behind on that switch. Plates did allow me to place a hole to attach a dust cap for the BNC connector.

FYI - Last I knew GEM is a one man operation and it is secondary to whatever he does to pay the bills. Sometime he gets overwhelmed with orders or supply issues, but he does his best which is very good. I made the mistake of selecting the wrong part (cover) and he emailed me within a few hours telling me he was holding the order until he heard from me. Cover without the plates is unusable. The order was corrected and we moved on.

I did hear he needed to order some more side plates and if he does the plan is to add the circle/dot -/+ icon next to the DC power jack. Can't say that he has ordered more and/or made the addition to the silkscreen.

mike

OK, so I ordered the following items this AM

The sideplate/cover combo from Gem Products - $75.88 with shipping & tax :cry:

snip...

Yeah, Mike ... they were pricey, but WTF, I'm pampering myself in my old age :laugh: ... The polarity markings would be nice, but not required.

I like the dust cap, I'll have to get one. I had one on the mic socket on my SG-2020.

Like the grounding lug/wing-nut too (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.