• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Corona balls and why K40's don't have them?

Red Ranger

Aug 16, 2008
K40 whips are spherically ground thus the literature says a corona ball is not necessary.

Do they hold a patent or something, because I look at the others and they DO have corona balls. If it's such a great Ideal, why they only using it?:confused:

I got six of them, a k30,40, and a two old truckers.

I can't HEAR a difference, but then that is the only antennas I own.

yes the big loco was the best antenna mod I ever done, +6 s-units of gain and a swr of less than 1.2:1 over 25-30mhz. it also gives the antenna a directional effect, with the most gain being towards central and south america.

K40 whips are spherically ground thus the literature says a corona ball is not necessary.

Do they hold a patent or something, because I look at the others and they DO have corona balls. If it's such a great Ideal, why they only using it?:confused:

Corona Balls are used when you have enuff watts to form a corona(looks like a arc weld) off of the tip of antenna, before that would happen on a K40 the antenna would fail in the lower portion.

A corona off the tip can happen because of sharp edge at end of antenna. I dont know who says they are a great idea unless you are having problems with arc coming from the end of your antenna. I have never seen them do anything for static, but hey you learn something new every day. Simple way to test if it reduces static is to get some tin foil and roll it in a small ball and put it on end of your antenna.

isn't part of a corona balls job to not just help prevent high power arching , but to also help reduce rx static because sharp pointy things on antennas can attract static ?
even though most of them seem too small to make much difference :)

isn't part of a corona balls job to not just help prevent high power arching , but to also help reduce rx static because sharp pointy things on antennas can attract static ?
even though most of them seem too small to make much difference :)

research and report back with ur finding.

I read up on this one time, and from what I remember, the theory is sound, but the balls are too small to be effective for anything except safety. I think you could round the edges off with a flat bastard file and be good to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.