• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

correct power supply for a cobra 200

automan4025,
At 100 watts output I would guess that a minimum of 20 amps is needed, and more than that certainly would NOT hurt anything (except your wallet). So, if that's a 25 amp continuous supply, it ought'a work just fine.
Just from a quick look on the internet, and taking the 'reviews' with the usual dose of salt, I'm not too sure you're going to be happy with the 'Cobra 200'. Seems a lot of people aren't...
- 'Doc

Go with a 35 Amp it leaves breathing room and will be plenty as far as what that 200 draws so theres no worry as far as the power supply lagging. I see alot of places now offering 35 ampres with the 200gtl for good prices. I have run my 200 with an astron 20 amp supply but I have bigger supplies ide rather use a 35 a 52 a 60 and an 88 amp so Im set there LOL. I know a 20 or 25 will run that radio depending where its set for power 100 watts 2o amps will run all day my 200 is set at 130 pep and that 20 amp still runs it but for the few extra dollars you can have a 35 amp and know that your good to go no matter where you set that output power ;)

W5LZ said:
Just from a quick look on the internet, and taking the 'reviews' with the usual dose of salt, I'm not too sure you're going to be happy with the 'Cobra 200'. Seems a lot of people aren't...
- 'Doc

There are a number of people who don't like it, but I have 200 customers who are all the time telling me how much they love it, and wanting to buy another.

For my cobra 200gtldx I ,m usinga pyramid ps46kx. It will handle 35 amps constant. Something smaller will do but then you have limited your chance to "grow"

There are a number of people who don't like it, but I have 200 customers who are all the time telling me how much they love it, and wanting to buy another.

who converts/tunes and aligns the radio (any radio) will have a huge impact on its performance . a 25 amp power supply should be plenty for a radio up to 200 watts . i wouldnt worry about getting a bigger power supply for growing/adding a amp to it later . youd really need a 4 pill to make a difference something like a magnaforce 600 . but youll need almost 100 amps for that amp alone and the power supply will cost almost as much as the amp . at that price you could get a new ameritron tube amp ( http://www.texastowers.com/al811.htm or http://www.texastowers.com/al811.htm ) or something stronger thats used . theres many many options................

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell the 200 GTL and i know many like it
but many dislike it as well

i suppose one gets spoiled quickly when they use better gear

in answer to your question
never even try to use less then a 20 am power supply
your 25 amp should be fine

i though also subscribe to using say a 35 amp continuous power supply
it cant hurt and will last longer as well as your knowing your radio will always be happy

just my 2 cents (which oddly enough costs the Gov't 4 cents to make

i agree20-25 amp will work but youll be draining every amp out of it
when using the high power settings on am/ssb/fm.thus the 36 will have
a little more breathing room.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.