• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Could a preamp be added to a CB?

Theres no switching relay on board. If u tx through that it will blow up. Better off with an external in line one or an amp with one built in.

Don't forget that the average pre-amp is also going to amplify the noise level too. I would rather listen to a clean S3 signal than a pre-amped S6 with noise I couldn't hear before the amp was added.

I got a tristar 747 modded for a preamp. Have a search for 2sc2999 on this site to see how its done. I find the best way to know if a radio will improve from it is to listen to the clarity of the weakest signal out there on fully clockwise gain when skip is g0‹2ne. The more gain is added the worse the clarity will distort. If weak signals are already at the limit of intelligibility then it cannot be bettered. I had my 747 done because when i was hiltopping far away from any static i could hear low voices on ssb with the volume fully clockwise and still not get them loud enough to understand.

Consider replacing the transistors in the receive section with higher gain lower noise models. Do the front end diode swap for faster switching lower noise and increased sensitivity. Should not be that hard to find a mod for this online for another radio and just apply the same idea to your radio.

Also consider directional beam antenna if you are not already running one. Generally if you need a pre-amp to hear them then you will not be able to talk to them.The reason most amps have preamps is because the people you are talking to may not be running any where near the power you are running no point of being heard if you can not copy the other guy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.