• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Crazy mobile antenna!

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
Seen this truck twice already. I parked next to it the other night and got some some pics to share here to see what you guys think!

Maybe this guy is on this forum since he's a radio guy and can give us more insight to his antenna.

This truck has another set of this same antenna on the other side so I assume it's a co- phased setup.

What I see is 2 equal length horizontal elements with loading coils with cap hats on each element. There is also a shortened vertical element with the same length cap hat on it. The ground radials at the end which are far to short to be really effective but at least they are mounted to a non-conductive mast and not on the hot side of the antenna like many of those so-called cheap ground plane radial kits. The antenna does has some serious looking mounting brackets which is good due to the weight and wind loading.

From what I see, this wouldn't be a very good local or running down the highway antenna due to the horizontal elements. Typically mobile antennas are vertical so this is the wrong polarization to be effective against other mobile antennas. But, that antennas vertical element may skew the signal in an angled V pattern creating some kind of dual polarization.

The 2 elements close together and being equal length don't seem to be effective at creating a "beam antenna" not to mention what the same antenna on the other side is going to effect one to the other.

However, this is one of the more fascinating mobile antennas I have seen in recent years!

20210417_034725.jpg

20210417_034725.jpg

Attachments

• 20210417_034759.jpg
    20210417_034759.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Had I seen that, I’d have laughed aloud: you and I both know how awful are the vast majority of big trucks.

A kickin’ amp and a loud Cobra 29 would be enough to have fun with alien technology (classified Area 51 tech) telling other drivers what-the-what.

I’ve not your knowledge (much less understanding), so I’ll leave the rest to the informed speculators.

That there is one serious cicada-slicer.

Looks like a Stargun antenna. Most of us laugh at them but there are still a few that actually swear by them...

The DB

Clarification for both of us:
Sure, the Stargun Parts Catalog, that’s obvious. What isn’t is the configuration.

All the good stuff was bought before this guy got there. The Clearance Table Blowout Sale is what we see, IMO.

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated