• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRAZY PRICES FOR AUTEK WM 1's

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
An Autek wm 1 recently sold for $305 (on Ebay. )
After that wm 1 sold for that ridiculous number a couple of other wm1's popped up (for auction. )
They don't come up that often, but that price most likely motivated people who didn't consider parting with their Autek's, to reconsider. One of the other ones that popped up has a current bid of $202.
I own two of wm1's (one illuminated,) and the price the first one sold for, and the current price of one of the others that popped up, has got me thinking about possibly partying with both of them (it's a tough call.)
Ive never sold on eBay before.
What are the drawbacks and possibilities getting scammed, by an unscrupulous buyer?
PS. I hate to sound greedy but should they bring those types of auction prices I would be able to do some equipment repairs and possibly even make a new purchase.
My MFJ 828 works fine , and I actually enjoy using that meter as much as I do the wm1's.FB_IMG_1598575037568.jpg

You know I've noticed the same thing after running across the wm1's myself. I've never owned one but I've wondered if I should after seeing that they are pretty sought for. Are they anything comparable to the bird meters as far as accuracy?

Reactions: Sonar
You know I've noticed the same thing after running across the wm1's myself. I've never owned one but I've wondered if I should after seeing that they are pretty sought for. Are they anything comparable to the bird meters as far as accuracy?
I've never side by side compared. I would assume that for the hobbyist it's about is accurate as a meter can get.
I think there might be a YouTube clip of bbi repairing or calibrating an Autek wm1. That's about it for YouTube as far as the wm1 goes.
The nice things about wm1 is that it constantly displays SWR, without ever having to perform a calibration.
And the meters are large and easily seen. Even if you don't have the illuminated model the meters and print on them are easily seen even in a low light situation.
They're called Computing meters because they constantly compute and display SWR without having to zero out or calibrate.
The wm1 is a very nice looking meter, accurate in my opinion.
It's surprising they don'tt produce them any longer.
I think they sold for about $100 when they were being produced by
Autek (in the 90's.)

Reactions: Slowmover
An Autek wm 1 recently sold for $305 (on Ebay. )
After that wm 1 sold for that ridiculous number a couple of other wm1's popped up (for auction. )
They don't come up that often, but that price most likely motivated people who didn't consider parting with their Autek's, to reconsider. One of the other ones that popped up has a current bid of $202.
I own two of wm1's (one illuminated,) and the price the first one sold for, and the current price of one of the others that popped up, has got me thinking about possibly partying with both of them (it's a tough call.)
Ive never sold on eBay before.
What are the drawbacks and possibilities getting scammed, by an unscrupulous buyer?
PS. I hate to sound greedy but should they bring those types of auction prices I would be able to do some equipment repairs and possibly even make a new purchase.
My MFJ 828 works fine , and I actually enjoy using that meter as much as I do the wm1's.View attachment 39956
Drawbacks are you eat 10% of your sale and 4-5% with paypal so in total you eat about 15%. Ebay also takes 10% of any shipping you charge the customer. Another draw back is ebays buyer protection program where the buyer is protected pretty much no matter what. Makes it tough for sellers. If you have no ebay history/feedback its sometimes tough to attract buyers.
The plus is you now have you item in front of a very large buying population

Drawbacks are you eat 10% of your sale and 4-5% with paypal so in total you eat about 15%. Ebay also takes 10% of any shipping you charge the customer. Another draw back is ebays buyer protection program where the buyer is protected pretty much no matter what. Makes it tough for sellers. If you have no ebay history/feedback its sometimes tough to attract buyers.
The plus is you now have you item in front of a very large buying population
I'll keep them. There's just too much to worry about. Giving up 15% + of my cell isn't a problem. It's the chance of getting a case opened up against me and losing. Then not only having to pay the buyer back, but worried about what I'm going to receive when I finally get the item returned. I would offer them here on wwdx, but for the sake of not looking like a money-hungry prick I'll just enjoy them (once my IMAX 2000 is back up in the air.) Thanks.

Reactions: Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.