• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 report

hacksaw

Jan 25, 2009
So y'all know I got the 8900. Anyway, today, talking for the first time to my local people, which is normally about 25 miles give or take, and one close to 30 miles. The 30 Mile guy asked me why I was coming in so strong... He is used to hearing me on a well tuned S-9/k40. I talked to them for one day with the new P5000 and they didn't mention anything about coming in stronger until I changed radios... So now I put a RD104E (which is way cheaper then the old mic. Where is this thing made now?). I did the 1K ohm mod. So tomorrow we will see. Anyway, that's the report for now... Hammer away!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS: love the size. Love the features, live the looks!

Cool!
The Road Devil will make a big difference in your audio output. The stock mic is a condenser mic which is pretty good. I drilled out the mic hole in my stock 8900 mic and it made a world of difference. It no longer sounds muffled on the receiving end. I keep my RD turned up to 7/8's gain level and the 8900's talkback on 2. That keeps any feedback in check.
Also I keep the 8900's mic gain at 63 but if you're a lengthy talker you'll want to crank back the mic gain as the audio amp on the left side if the radio near the front will get pretty warm.

DTB set my high deadkey at 10 watts and 1 watt low. It sounds good compared to my 959

Last edited:
Have you gotten the proprietary mini USB cable yet? Also you can download the program off of Bells CB

https://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/CRE/media/C8900Setup_3.10.zip

You can program up to twenty extra channels per band however you want.

Thank you. I have a dang MacBook. Great for most things but I will need to download a converter. As for the RD104, how would that compact to a 575m6c? Because I have a brand new one????

Thank you. I have a dang MacBook. Great for most things but I will need to download a converter. As for the RD104, how would that compact to a 575m6c? Because I have a brand new one????

Never had a 575. Is that a NOS mic ?
The others can fill you in on that.
My Road Devil sounds clear and loud. I even used my iPhone and stuck it next to another radio being set on record. I transmitted on my 8900 with my RD. It was frightenly loud but clear. People know when I get back on my stock mic as they can't hear me as well.

Never had a 575. Is that a NOS mic ?

The others can fill you in on that.

My Road Devil sounds clear and loud. I even used my iPhone and stuck it next to another radio being set on record. I transmitted on my 8900 with my RD. It was frightenly loud but clear. People know when I get back on my stock mic as they can't hear me as well.

Awesome. Yes it's new old stock 575. And a new RD which seems like it's junkie built

I sprayed the PTT switch with Rat Shack contact cleaner and lube as you'll have about a month before the RD starts sounding scratchy. Mine don't do that after I used the cleaner/lube on it. Also I don't particularly care for the PTT button rattling in it's hole but I get around that by depressing it a certain way where it doesn't rattle. I have a 1k ohm resistor on my RD as well but there's still a short delay between the time I key down and when I hear my voice over the talkback. I think CBRadioMagazine used a 680 ohm resistor on his. You can check out his CRE-8900 review.

CBRadioMagazine.com - CRE 8900 10 Meter SSB Export Radio

Blue white brown bands. 690 ohm resistor.
Here it is:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/151147-power-microphone-radio-key-up-audio-delay-issue.html

http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

Last edited:
Pulled the President Lincoln II out to do the updates so I thought I'd giv ethe CRE 8900 another try to see if I could get it working. Thought I'd describe the issues I ran into here since it seems like all the CRE 8900 owners tuned in.

First off, I've tuned up my CRE 8900 to do 45 watts peak. AM deadkey is 10 watts swinging to 22 watts. If you turn down the AM deadkey to drive a amp the swing also drops off significantly. 2 watts swinging to 6 watts.

I run my mike gain at 63 on the radio (max) and set up my road devil to run about 1/3 of the way up. Loud, clear and it does a good job of noise cancelling.

The resistor on the mic is to prevent the key up issue which was described in the other thread. I haven't had any problems with my road devil sounding scratchy.

The radio size had been great, I've had mine mounted in the dash under my radio for the last year. It can get warm, especially with the way I've tuned it but no parts failures or component problems yet.

HOWEVER - on both my first unit and the current V2 unit I ran into some software glitches. Also one of the colors burned out on the V2 unit last week so I no longer have the light blue or green colors. All the rest still work.

The software glitch was basically I turned on the unit and it starts jumping between 10 meters and 11 meters and the band selector doesn't work properly. On the old radio I did 3-4 resets and then it went back to normal (although I lost my programming and had to re-program it). On the current unit it did something similar but the FUNC button stopped working which meant I couldn't access any of the secondary functions. I tried a reset but afterwards it still didn't work properly and I couldn't access the menu.

I pulled the radio out, had it sitting on my desk for a week then came back to it today and now it's working perfectly normal again. I was on the air today with it running into the Cobra XL 450 pushing 350 watts today and was making contacts left and right. Also jumped on channel 6 for fun and with around 250 watts was making contacts on the bowl in the middle of the mess :)

One other thing both Lil'Yeshua and I both noticed is if you turn the RF power all the way down on SSB it seems to cause a receive issue where the tone and freq change slightly...hard to describe. The RF power works on AM but it doesn't really do anything on SSB until you turn it all the way down and if you do it does the weird receive thing. I run my SSB wide open all the time anyway so not an issue but worth mentioning.

I fully expect that at some point in the next year or two my CRE 8900 will end up in the trash...not because of the radio or it's internals but because of the software and the software circuit. I think with being in the mobile in all seasons and especially the cold weather/temps that the computer just won't handle it long term. This is a pity because I really enjoyed this radio, more than just about any other radio I've tested in recent years.

While I would have liked more AM swing for playing on the bowl, for SSB it was just awesome and I got great reports from CBer's and Ham radio operators as well.

If it lasts 3 years then the cost may break down to around $125 year for most buyers and that isn't bad for me as I use a radio every day for about 2 hours a day, however I would prefer a radio to last for 10 years.

Some may say a radio should last for 20 years but for $300-400 I think 5-10 years is reasonable. I've had computers that cost $800 that only lasted 7 :)

Once I get the fixes done on the President Lincoln II it will probably be my go-to radio (if the fixes do what they are supposed to do). But the CRE 8900 has been a great radio and I'll run it till it stops working completely.

Last edited:
I was checking out the different colors on mine tonight. My blue green is missing. I may have to reset it and see if that will correct it. I spend most of my time listening and not talking on it as there's not many locals to talk to. I'd like to get a Lincoln 2 but I'm waiting for yeticomnz to get the parts in to do the fixes in their Lincoln 2 stock first.

I fully expect that at some point in the next year or two my CRE 8900 will end up in the trash...not because of the radio or it's internals but because of the software and the software circuit. I think with being in the mobile in all seasons and especially the cold weather/temps that the computer just won't handle it long term. This is a pity because I really enjoyed this radio, more than just about any other radio I've tested in recent years.

If it lasts 3 years then the cost may break down to around $125 year for most buyers and that isn't bad for me as I use a radio every day for about 2 hours a day, however I would prefer a radio to last for 10 years.

Some may say a radio should last for 20 years but for $300-400 I think 5-10 years is reasonable. I've had computers that cost $800 that only lasted 7 :)
Sorry but a radio that you're talking about throwing away in a couple of years that you paid over $300 for is POS in my book Why in gods name would anyone want that crap? Yes a radio that cost $300-$400 should last 20 years.. hell my Uniden Grant is still working and I have had that for almost 30 years now and I paid less than $200 for it new.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.