• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Creative way to get a wire in a tree

Try here;

AKBiocca Engineering Catalog

Basically the same thing, but no flammable fuels, compressed air instead. Do I have one? Are you kidding? I'm too cheap. But I wish I did! (Just in case one'a you guys wanna give me one, I'm good in the call book, and am holding my breath expectantly!)
- 'Doc

I made a potato launcher years ago with compressed air. I just used pvc and a sprinkler solenoid for the valve. It worked great!

Great link. I hope when I get older I have friends and animals that will come to my cabin and help me shoot a potato cannon. Seriously. I guess I should get a cabin.

Those people seemed so happy with their cannon and their hobby. I need an ELMER to take my hand and lead me to the Ham Promise land. A place free of drama and bs. Is there even such a place? If I had a potato cannon right now I would try and shoot myself in the head.

So anyway, how well do those wire antennas work? Does anyone have any experience with one on 11 meters using it to shoot skip on the flatside? How much power can they take?

I've seen a few antenna launchers but never tried one.
YouTube - Tower Falling
YouTube - Tower falling after plane crashes into it.
YouTube - falling tower
YouTube - WOR Tower Collapse
YouTube - How to take a radio tower down

Best for last!
YouTube - Coke Radio Tower Commercial

Good timing with the post Mole. I just bought the parts to make one a few days ago. I am now off for the next four or possibly six days (fingers crossed on that one) and hope to make one before i go back to work. I want to fire and antenna wire up over the 60+ foot oak trees behind the house and posssibly across the river behind the house and string the wire between two trees on either side. That would make a nice really long antenna about 60-70 feet high.

UPDATE!

I just test fired the potato cannon and all I can say is HOLY SHIT BATMAN!! That thing will be fine for stringing out really loooooong beverage antennas in one shot. It is about 5 feet overall with a main combustion chamber made from a piece of 4 inch ABS with a 45º angle 2 inch tee.Into the 4 inch pipe is an 18 inch length of 3 inch ABS pipe and then a 3 foot length of 1½ inch ABS.I used a BBQ igniter mounted in the end of the 45º 2 inch outlet and it makes a great handle/firing pin. I used a can of Lysol spray disinfectant for the propellant and the thing sounds like a rifle going off.I'm not sure of the distance I was getting but it was well over 150-175 yards. I should be able to get a better idea tomorrow.All I know and care about is that I can now get a line up over the 60 foot trees behind the house and maybe even one across to the other side of the river behind the house.Sounds like time for a full sized inverted L for 160m with the flatop about 80 feet above the river. :p:

You guys with all this huge room for big wire antennas suck.

I'm going home now to my postage stamp sized lot...one day my Palm tree will be 100 feet tall to suspend a wire from...

Oh Jesus. I upgraded my fuel to Pantene hairspray. Anybody have any 200 foot high trees 300 feet away that they need an antenna wire over? Seriously. I'm getting at least 200 feet straight up,it's hard to measure height, or about 600 feet horizontal. I wonder what butane will do. :eek:

For the manual method of throwing up a weight...a water bottle works very well. They have plenty of weight filled and they are slick so they fall right down through the branches well. Also the neck around them or a soda bottle makes it easy to tie on the tow line and have it hold.

For the rest of us slumming with 20' high antennas heh.

Don't forget that the cheap slinshot/fishing reel thing works good too. I've gotten a wire up probably 100' doing that.

Toughest part is the balance between heavy enough tow line and a heavy enough sinker. I use a fishing pole that I cut off at the second eye too, that works great, but line light enough to cover a few hundred feet for up and back down the other side again is awfully light and snaps easily.

One of these would be pretty awesome

Big Shot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.