• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Crossbanding radios

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Hi all,

I've had my Wouxun KG UV3D for about three years now, and am looking to upgrade to probably a mobile or a base station unit. Something that is 2M/440 with 30 to 50 watts of power. I'm curious if a mobile or base station radio will need to have a dedicated "crossband" function, or if it can be done on any radio? I see Wouxun has a new 920P which has a dedicated crossband ability, but in the reviews I've read, that may be one of its few redeeming features.

I was under the impression I could ssetup a crossband on my own by selecting a simplex freq to listen to, and then have that be transmitted on the repeater freq from the base station / mobile rig?

Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively cheap ~$300 mobile or base station? Would one be cheaper than another? I know Kenwood and Yeasu are both popular, but they seem to be more expensive.

Thanks!

Hi all,... I could ssetup a crossband on my own by selecting a simplex freq to listen to, and then have that be transmitted on the repeater freq ...Thanks!

that is correct,.... but,.... give some thought as to proper ID'ing and rig control

that is correct,.... but,.... give some thought as to proper ID'ing and rig control
Yes, your crossband radio must be able to ID in both directions. Most have the mistaken believe that all they need to do is id on your your leg to the the repeater. You must either add an ID'er or buy a dualband with one built in.
Rich

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, your crossband radio must be able to ID in both directions. Most have the mistaken believe that all they need to do is id on your your leg to the the repeater. You must either add an ID'er or buy a dualband with one built in.
Rich

So what does the "crossband" function of a radio like the Wouxun actually do then?

So what does the "crossband" function of a radio like the Wouxun actually do then?
Ok, let's say the local whackers are haveing a desaster drill. One is sent out to BFE. BFE is out of range on his 2m/.7m ht. So he sets up his mobile for xband repeat. The repeater he is trying to hit is on 146.80, he sets the vhf side to xmit on that repeater pair. THEN HE SETS HIS HT TO 444.555( or wHATEVER).when he xmits on his ht on 444.55, his mobile retransmits on the repeaters input of 146.20. when he unkeys and the squelch tail drops, his mobile switches to receive on 146.800 and xmit on 444.55. This allows you to extend your range. But the xband repeater must ID on both 146.20 and 444.55 to be legal.
Rich

Reactions: 1 person

to make a much simplier answer,... it does exactly what a "regular"repeater does,... RX on one freq, and TX on a different freq, at the same time.

the main difference is that the two freqs are NOT in the same amateur "band"

Ok, let's say the local whackers are haveing a desaster drill. One is sent out to BFE. BFE is out of range on his 2m/.7m ht. So he sets up his mobile for xband repeat. The repeater he is trying to hit is on 146.80, he sets the vhf side to xmit on that repeater pair. THEN HE SETS HIS HT TO 444.555( or wHATEVER).when he xmits on his ht on 444.55, his mobile retransmits on the repeaters input of 146.20. when he unkeys and the squelch tail drops, his mobile switches to receive on 146.800 and xmit on 444.55. This allows you to extend your range. But the xband repeater must ID on both 146.20 and 444.55 to be legal.
Rich

Alright, that was how I understood it. How does one get the xband repeater to ID on both freqs? Is that an automatic function, or is it done manually? Newbie here, help is appreciated

to make a much simplier answer,... it does exactly what a "regular"repeater does,... RX on one freq, and TX on a different freq, at the same time.

the main difference is that the two freqs are NOT in the same amateur "band"

So you do not need a Xband radio to Xband then? Any radio can do it? Do you have any favorites for mobile 2M/70cm radios?

the ability to send the ID's is built into the radio or cross band repeator controller. not all the radios have this feature your when I can think of off the top of my head the does is the Kenwood.
there are probably others that I am not aware of that will do it also

the ability to send the ID's is built into the radio or cross band repeator controller. not all the radios have this feature your when I can think of off the top of my head the does is the Kenwood.
there are probably others that I am not aware of that will do it also

Can you rearead that and correct it, specifically the "not all radios and off the top of my head..

Which is "the kenwood" you are referring to?

The Yaesu FT-8800R has cross-band repeat capabilities

Welcome to Yaesu.com

FT-8800R_thumb.jpg

The Yaesu FT-8800R has cross-band repeat capabilities

Welcome to Yaesu.com

FT-8800R_thumb.jpg

Ya, I have been looking at that. It says its on the 430Mhz band though...iirc that does NOT cover the 440 / 70 cm band?

Question about power..as I am not planning to use this in the card with a cig lighter, can I use a cig lighter to AC power adapter, or do I need to purcahse an AC power supply?

Can you rearead that and correct it, specifically the "not all radios and off the top of my head..
strike your when, and replace with only one.
the dangers of talk to text and alcohol.

Which is "the kenwood" you are referring to?
kenwood tm-v71a

kenwood tm-v71a is the only one I know that has the built in ID'er. A friend has the FT8800, it does xband, but no ID'er.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated