• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cubical Quad Wind Loading ??

n8ppq

Mar 1, 2009
Michigan
www.n8ppq.net
Dear Possibly Informed Person:

I have looked at several online pages that describe calculations involving Yagi antennas. However, when I apply these methods to the cubical quad (my antenna of interest) I get numbers greatly higher than those listed by commercial manufacturers. For example, a Cubex 3-el, 5-band gives me 10 sq ft, just counting the boom and spreader arms with no wire, spiders, or Dacron support line, and I'm using the 2/3 multiplier for round members. They report only 7.4 sq ft. I've read that manufacturers exaggerate, but this seems more than that. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dan N8PPQ
dan@n8ppq.net

Rather predictable response by them.

I like the information on the antenna website I gave you that suggests 5 inch separation of 12 or 14 guage copper wire (dual element) for each element. It will give you greater bandwidth of 2 to 1 SWR, more gain, and better front to back.

Quads seem to require a longer boom to completely destroy a Yagi, but if constructed this way they will definitely be better than a yagi all around.

However, you cannot use the best software by EasyNec or MiniNec for tuning because your design has never been tried or the experimenter was not a Thomas Edison that persevered until success like yourself.

I applaud you.

73 de N4SLR, Frank

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned