• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cubical quads????????

excavator701

May 23, 2005
is it true that cubical quad offer more db gain and better performance than a traditional yagi i have been told that they will out perform, say a signal engineering white lightning cubical quad verses a moonraker4 that the quad has better db gain and better ears

You can measure the differance with the PROPER gear but the real world differance is imperceptable for the same number of elements.The quad will perform better closer to the ground however if height is a problem.

Not theory. Its true! But as it has been pointed out, you would not be able to tell the difference?

A properly built Yagi will certainly outlast a quad. Wire elements fatigue over time and break. They are great antennas, but maintenance hogs. Some out here will surely have stories how their buddy's quad stayed up for 20-years. That is great, but not the norm.

One advantage of the quad over the yagi is its reduction in noise because of it's terminated full wave loop. This may or may not be a concern to you.

Either way, you will have a good antenna IF built right!

Master Chief,
You ready for this?
Had a friend in Oregon who was a net control for some maritime stuff. Had a seven element quad on 20 meters. Even with propagation changing, you could always hear him if he was 'looking at you'. The quad was a homebrew, wooden beam, no idea how high. Did it last 20 years? Uh... he was very lucky if it lasted out a year - LOL! No rotor, used a prop-pitch motor instead, said he wished he had the room to turn it with a jeep.
Would I like to have one? Oh @#$$ yes! Am I ever going to have one? I really doubt it, too much wind in Oklahoma and I'm to cheap and lazy. Can they be 'beat'? Sure, but... oh well.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.