• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-104 wiring to Kenwood TS-520

baystatejack

Dec 2, 2009
Hello Everyone,
I’m looking for some advice concerning an old Astatic D-104 mic (no battery in base) and a Kenwood TS-520 radio. I got the mic from EBay and the 4 pin mic plug had the worst soldering job I have ever seen. I want to replace the plug and correctly wire the mic for use with the TS-520.

The radio has a 4 pin jack and the mic uses a 4 pin plug, however the microphone wiring harness uses 4 wires and a braided shield. The black and white wires are the microphone +/- and are surrounded by the shield; the two other wires are red and blue, which I believe are used to key the mic. Looking at the front of the radio are the two top pins for the red and blue and the two bottom pins for the +/- microphone? Am I correct so far? Now, what do I do with the braided shield? Do I solder it to the same pin as mic (-)? And, if so, which wire is (+) and which is( -)? I’ve been looking all over the internet for an answer with no success. Can anyone help me out?

Also, does anyone make a replacement element for the D-104? This one is original, I haven’t tried it but it would be good to start out with a good quality element.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

On my 530s, I have it wired this way and it works fine.

NOTE mine is amplified base and has a yellow wire additional which is not used...

Wired this way looking at connector with notch at bottem and start at bottem right 4 oclock position...

pin1 = white at 4 oclock audio input

pin2 = red at 2 oclock transmitt

pin3 = blue at 10 oclock ground

pin4 = shield at 8 oclock shield

Black is not used or is yellow on a amplified base

This should work for you and if i can find a link i will post it also from the webb.

Regards,
John_ kd5wjy

John I wired the connection just as instructed except shield on #4 didn't work so I substituted it for the black wire and it seems to be transmitting. Is that Okay or might I have an internal problem in the base of the mic?
Not much activity on the 20 meter band right now.

John I wired the connection just as instructed except shield on #4 didn't work so I substituted it for the black wire and it seems to be transmitting. Is that Okay or might I have an internal problem in the base of the mic?
Not much activity on the 20 meter band right now.

No You are in fine shape

in the base on yours, shield and black may not be connected together like on mine
with the amplified base.

Black is ground and sounds like you are good to go...

Regards,
John

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.