• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D@A Warrior resurection and bigger Gas tank

giboni

Break Break..Does anyone have any Grey Pupant ?
Sep 24, 2014
Nebraska
This disabled Warrior was given to me.

However. My feeling. The condition it was in. Not worth much. A Lot of work to restore this.

Even going with 4x22JG6 and 24LQ6. Its going to cost to put this Godzilla of sweep tube Amps

back on the air.

My first impression. It is most definitely under powered. Not enouph KVA in the iron .

Not enouph gasolina for the 16 soldiers.

This beast has been around. The PSU had two trannys replaced. Fogetabout it. I'm not dealing

with this Golden Screwdrivered royaly PSU. I am going to pair two 2KVA pieces of iron. For a

huge gas tank 4KVA. Those 16 soldiers will have as much gasolina as they want. Have several 6.3 20

amp trannys. I will decide later which way I will go. Original tubes or 24v versions. Dc fillament

voltage is superior. But it is the extra work involved. A wooden platform with added metal

exterior plates for the PSU & components. 950vdc at several amps through that original

harnes scable worrys me. Removed one tranny for the othr project. 12 tuber promotion to

Warrior. Enjoy the pics ! Yes. it is a bit complicated. Two bridge rectifiers in parrallel 1 amp rating ? hmmm.

Guess their was a shortage of 3 amps ?

To be continued !
P1010123.JPG
P1010124.JPG
P1010124.JPG
P1010131.JPG

Attachments

• P1010128.JPG
    P1010128.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 145
  • P1010130.JPG
    P1010130.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 165
  • P1010132.JPG
    P1010132.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 169
  • P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 156

Finally a bit of time to put into this project. Decided to save the 2 x 2KVA iron for my Maco

Kw+ that needs a new bigger PSU.

The case will be out of wood scraps & plywood. Will remember to bring a digital weight

scale to workshop soon & take pictures. Making the case out of wood is the cheapest

quckest method.

This tranny is HEAVY. Rated at 3KVA. 120v. Shipping was $26.00. Cost $40.00.

Another investment. Will be a 3KVA amp Variac. They got cheap. About $110. shipped.

At 110ac-120ac in. The output AC voltage of this tranny is aproximately 460-480vac.

460-0-460

1.414 X 920 = no load voltage of 1330vdc. Tooo much. The 6LQ6's at load are

at about 900vdc. With the original quad pack of trannys. 990vdc is the recomended

manufacturers top limit. I know. Swan & several other similar Amateur amps beat the

hell out of 6LQ6s at 1200vdc. No thank U. Experimentation and measuring the plate

voltages will not take long.In order to set the correct output DCv. Probably at

360-0-360.

The time consuming part of this restoration. Will be the tune up of the RF Tank coils.

Going to go with 4 x 22JG6 driving 4 24LQ6 driving 8 24LQ6. This ought to go fast.

As I have already done this conversion. 24v DC switching supply is cheaper than

a 24v rectifier/control/fillament transformer.

It is absolutely regulated. 24v rock solid even if the AC line slacks from 120 down to

90vac. !

On key up. The current

increases to the heaters. But the voltage is locked at precisely 24v. + %3 or -3%

ripple. A fillament transformer. Such as used in the D&A's have a lot of line slack.

Low voltage wears the heaters out faster than a pinch high. Every time U key up.

The heater voltage drops. Line voltage is very inconsistent in many areas of the USA.

When your line voltage drops. So does the ouput of step up or step down trannys.

Regulated DC Heaters increases tube life. So does the fact that the Plate current

is not running all the time on all versions of D&A amps. Unfortunately. This fact

of DC fillament for receiving tubes. Does not hold for the large triodes 500Z

and the big ceramic tubes. Maybe 811A or 572B. I don't know.

The Maco in the photos ought to give a perspective as to the size of the new

gas tank for the Warrior ! The 16 soldiers. Will have plenty of Gasolina !

Best FourFingers&aThumb 73s

PC110110.JPG
PC110111.JPG
PC110112.JPG

Last edited:
Finally a bit of time to put into this project. Decided to save the 2 x 2KVA iron for my Maco

Kw+ that needs a new bigger PSU.

The case will be out of wood scraps & plywood. Will remember to bring a digital weight

scale to workshop soon & take pictures. Making the case out of wood is the cheapest

quckest method.

This tranny is HEAVY. Rated at 3KVA. 120v. Shipping was $26.00. Cost $40.00.

Another investment. Will be a 3KVA amp Variac. They got cheap. About $110. shipped.

At 110ac-120ac in. The output AC voltage of this tranny is aproximately 460-480vac.

460-0-460

1.414 X 920 = no load voltage of 1330vdc. Tooo much. The 6LQ6's at load are

at about 900vdc. With the original quad pack of trannys. 990vdc is the recomended

manufacturers top limit. I know. Swan & several other similar Amateur amps beat the

hell out of 6LQ6s at 1200vdc. No thank U. Experimentation and measuring the plate

voltages will not take long.In order to set the correct output DCv. Probably at

360-0-360.

The time consuming part of this restoration. Will be the tune up of the RF Tank coils.

Going to go with 4 x 22JG6 driving 4 24LQ6 driving 8 24LQ6. This ought to go fast.

As I have already done this conversion. 24v DC switching supply is cheaper than

a 24v rectifier/control/fillament transformer.

It is absolutely regulated. 24v rock solid even if the AC line slacks from 120 down to

90vac. !

On key up. The current

increases to the heaters. But the voltage is locked at precisely 24v. + %3 or -3%

ripple. A fillament transformer. Such as used in the D&A's have a lot of line slack.

Low voltage wears the heaters out faster than a pinch high. Every time U key up.

The heater voltage drops. Line voltage is very inconsistent in many areas of the USA.

When your line voltage drops. So does the ouput of step up or step down trannys.

Regulated DC Heaters increases tube life. So does the fact that the Plate current

is not running all the time on all versions of D&A amps. Unfortunately. This fact

of DC fillament for receiving tubes. Does not hold for the large triodes 500Z

and the big ceramic tubes. Maybe 811A or 572B. I don't know.

The Maco in the photos ought to give a perspective as to the size of the new

gas tank for the Warrior ! The 16 soldiers. Will have plenty of Gasolina !

Best FourFingers&aThumb 73s

View attachment 22201 View attachment 22202 View attachment 22203

That's a good lookin 200 ya got there. Looks like you won't need that little thing laying around. I'll send ya my shipping info!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.