• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

d104 potentiometer HELP

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
My d104's volume adjustment keeps spinning. I believe my mic is stuck on one volume position. The small control inside the potentiometer keep spinning doesn't stop either way I turn it, right or left. I've read this is a 5k potentiometer. Can anyone verify? Can I use a 5k potentiometer sold at radio shack. Is there a fix for the broken one?

Sorry to say this but it would be easier to help you if you would try and keep your situation to a common thread. Creating a new post for every nuanced challenge makes it hard to follow and were it all in one area I (we) would have a better picture of what's going on with your setup.

Based on what I have been able to piece together, you want AM and SSB. You seem to be OK on AM. You need to up your ALC on SSB and back down on your modulation, Running an amplified D-104 full throttle with wide open mic gain won't be in your best interest for SSB. It sounds like you have figured that out. If you can try to keep your changes small and together it helps us all track it and we can be a better resource.

Now, that all being said, I have more Turner knowledge than Astatic (though I always did want one when I was younger). What model D-104 are you working with?

Here's one example
http://nucow.com/Microphones Lamps/vintage microphones/D104 schematic.htm

Sorry to say this but it would be easier to help you if you would try and keep your situation to a common thread. Creating a new post for every nuanced challenge makes it hard to follow and were it all in one area I (we) would have a better picture of what's going on with your setup.

Based on what I have been able to piece together, you want AM and SSB. You seem to be OK on AM. You need to up your ALC on SSB and back down on your modulation, Running an amplified D-104 full throttle with wide open mic gain won't be in your best interest for SSB. It sounds like you have figured that out. If you can try to keep your changes small and together it helps us all track it and we can be a better resource.

Now, that all being said, I have more Turner knowledge than Astatic (though I always did want one when I was younger). What model D-104 are you working with?

Here's one example
http://nucow.com/Microphones Lamps/vintage microphones/D104 schematic.htm
T-UP 9.if it's not a 9 it's a g. i understand but I suffered from o.c.d anf it sometimes is difficult to get my point across without rambling. I will do my best to keep focused when inquiring about a problem or, issues. I have since found my mic's potentiometer to broken and, I have a strong felling the volume is all the way up. Thanks.

All D104 Desk mics with the exception of the G-Stand and the UG stand, have a volume pot.
I removed the board under the d104's cover. There's a 5k potentiometer. It needs to be replaced. The problem is the original potentiometer has two small nipples. There are two chrome little tin items that pop on the potentiometer holding it securely in place. I can't find that exact one, so I purchased a potentiomiter with a 1 1/2 inch shaft. It comes with a washer and nut that holds it in place. I will have someone drill a hole in the base of the mic. I will have it installed sticking out of the base, add a knob to it, then I will be able to adjust it by simply turning the knob. It's similar to the way the volume adjustment is on all the turner base mic's. It's beyond me why astatic didn't build there mic's that way from the beginning. For someone who's disabled it's a great mod but even for the able bodied it's a better design. Go figure. I actually purchased 6 potentiometer and, I will eventually change all my d104's over to that volume adjustment.

RatsoW post: 500316 said:
So does that mean your other post about this mic not having a potentiometer is null and void?
Yes "null and void". Has your world just come crashing down on you ratso? God! I noticed that most of the time you are very helpful but, then there's those rag months I guess when you and others who's knowledge about communications equipment is through the roof, really get sarcastic and nasty when answering questions from people who are either ignorant or just uneducated. We all can be Stephen hawking types. Calm down ratso! There was a time in your life when you couldn't tell a transistor from a lollipop. Try to keep that in mind when reading a question from someone who doesn't know a transistor from a transformer. unless your just on of those, my shit never stank kind of people. In that case, you are what you are. Let it rip and sokem if you gotem.

Yes "null and void". Has your world just come crashing down on you ratso? God! I noticed that most of the time you are very helpful but, then there's those rag months I guess when you and others who's knowledge about communications equipment is through the roof, really get sarcastic and nasty when answering questions from people who are either ignorant or just uneducated. We all can be Stephen hawking types. Calm down ratso! There was a time in your life when you couldn't tell a transistor from a lollipop. Try to keep that in mind when reading a question from someone who doesn't know a transistor from a transformer. unless your just on of those, my shit never stank kind of people. In that case, you are what you are. Let it rip and sokem if you gotem.

Nice post dude. We want to help you but you posted two different threads with conflicting info. All I was trying to do was get you to clarify what the situation was. I have repaired quite a few D-104's and have a stash of boards and other D-104 parts. Had you clarified what was really going on I would have offered to send you the part you needed. Simple.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.