• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D104 T-UP9 Wiring Problem

Frylock508

Jul 25, 2011
So I pick up this mic that was currently wired for a 5 pin Cobra 142gtl. I was going to wire it for a 4 pin cobra. When I went to desolder the plug off I noticed the colors weren't right. it was wired pin 1. white
2. yellow (huh?)
3.red
4.blue
5.black
My first issue was, why is yellow even connected? Then I noticed receive(black) and transmit (red) are reversed? Every D104 I ever wired was very easy and always used the same colors. So I wired it up for 4 pin Cobra using the colors I normally use. When I was done and plugged it in as expected it was doing the reverse of what it should be. SO, my question is, has ANYONE seen this problem before in a Astatic D104. For the record I've never wired a T-UP9 before. So my game plan is to simply reverse the red and black wires on the pin but just do not understand why.

I've wired many microphones and often the colors are irrelevant. Typically white is mic, red tx, black rx, and so on. In some cases white has been tx, red mic, and so on.
Figure out what function each wire is performing. With the mic in receive mode use an ohm meter to see what lines are connected together. Then do the same measurements in the transmit mode.
Then use the original microphone and determine the function of each of the five pins in a similar manner.
Now that you know how the original mic and the wires in the new mic work you can put the two together. Working with colors can be guess work and you'll be at it forever using a trial and error approach.

So I pick up this mic that was currently wired for a 5 pin Cobra 142gtl. I was going to wire it for a 4 pin cobra. When I went to desolder the plug off I noticed the colors weren't right. it was wired pin 1. white
2. yellow (huh?)
3.red
4.blue
5.black
My first issue was, why is yellow even connected? ...

if memory serves me correctly, unless you have a radio with an (old type) mechanical switch, then the yellow is not used.

has some one changed the cord and possibly just wired the colors to the wrong pins on the mic side of the cable?

I agree, the yellow wire(mechanical switch) should not be on pin 2 if it is wired correctly on the other end.

Just be glad you aren't colour blind. :cry: I went to tech school with a guy that was red/green colour blind. We wondered why he was always using his VOM to check resistors. It seems he couldn't tell the difference between a lot of the values and often wondered how in God's name he would ever wire a multi-pair cable. He was smart but just colour challanged. ;)

Reactions: 1 person
I am partial color blind and it causes problems also. have a hard time with blues, greens and grays.
for example some times gray will look black depending on the shade of the color.

Seems to work now..

So I reversed the RX and TX wires on the pins and it works. Its just not very impressive. I had to spray the contacts and then turn the potentiometer down on the mic so it wouldnt squeal. The element looks untouched but it is VERY directional which makes me think its been replaced because all my other D104's pick up everything going on in the room. Oh well. They all can't be gems.

Reactions: Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.