• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dale Earnhardt edition COBRA 29 Audio IC

Aug 31, 2020
Just picked up a really nice Earnhardt edition that is missing its 10 pin audio IC. What comes in this model a TA7222AP or a KIA7217AP ?
Anybody know for sure?

Well, I soldered in a brand new YD1022. As soon as I turned the radio on, the audio IC smoked. I then removed that and installed a TA7222AP. I now have modulation. This is a AUG 03 build. Just wanted everyone to know if they ever ran into this situation. The audio circuit has not been modified.

Well, I soldered in a brand new YD1022. As soon as I turned the radio on, the audio IC smoked. I then removed that and installed a TA7222AP. I now have modulation. This is a AUG 03 build. Just wanted everyone to know if they ever ran into this situation. The audio circuit has not been modified.
interesting.

Here is the schematic for the 1998 build, which most likely is the revision you are working on. Sorry for the bad information.

Reactions: Alabama Trainman
On the board itself is a marking...

Near centerline - just below where the speaker cone rests...

Kinda looks like this...
1676685541363.png

The KEPC number helps to show which IC is what in there.

IN this case the above is a 255 board, and is of an earlier vintage - about 1997

So, it would use the TA7222AP chip - but you figured that out already, I'm just putting this here to help others in the future - to know where to look and what to expect.

You did the rest!

Good job!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.