• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

David Clark headset

Nov 2, 2015
Someone at work gave me a David clark h10-13.4 headset with a mic. I know these are not ideal for radio use but in would like to try the mic out. When I got them there was no make connector for the microphone. My buddy said he cut it off to use on something else, but it didn't work. I'd like to wire it for 1/4 mic jack. There are 3 wires, 1 white 1 red and unshielded ground. I can't find anything that I understand that will help me wire it for a simple 1/4 male. Can anyone help me out? Attached is a picture of the headset, if you can see mixed in with all that junk

Attachments

• 1456511316747-423577966.jpg
    1456511316747-423577966.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 24

Someone at work gave me a David clark h10-13.4 headset with a mic. I know these are not ideal for radio use but in would like to try the mic out. When I got them there was no make connector for the microphone. My buddy said he cut it off to use on something else, but it didn't work. I'd like to wire it for 1/4 mic jack. There are 3 wires, 1 white 1 red and unshielded ground. I can't find anything that I understand that will help me wire it for a simple 1/4 male. Can anyone help me out? Attached is a picture of the headset, if you can see mixed in with all that junk

Not ideal for radio use?? David Clark headsets are used with probably 98% of the aviation radios in existence. They are pretty decent. The problem you are going to have is that the microphone is an electret type which requires a DC power source to operate. That voltage is supplied thru the mike jack on aviation radios so you will have to adapt something to work if you REALLY want to use them.

http://www.davidclark.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=39

Hey whaddaya know!?
I wear a pair of DC's a work also, but i dont work in aviation.

they are really nice headsets, and durable as heck, but man do they tend to squeeze the noggin'!
they definitely take a bit of getting used to.

My bet is that you won't use them for long, and will go back to the conventional way.
LC

Nice gift after looking up the pricing! I'm wondering if this adapter might work for you...
http://w2eny.com/adapterbatterybox/ Seems like it should, but you're obviously going to have to wire up the connectors since yours were cut off. Might not be what you're looking for if you're strictly C.B... would probably be killer for a ham setup.

Brett

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Nice gift after looking up the pricing! I'm wondering if this adapter might work for you...
http://w2eny.com/adapterbatterybox/ Seems like it should, but you're obviously going to have to wire up the connectors since yours were cut off. Might not be what you're looking for if you're strictly C.B... would probably be killer for a ham setup.

Brett
I have been studying for a ham ticket, that's the direction I'm headed. I have been using them on an rf sample apparatus I made, they work great and are in new condition. They do get a little tight after having them on for a while. I may sell them, it's a shame that guy cut the mic end off

Reactions: 2RT307
I have been studying for a ham ticket, that's the direction I'm headed. I have been using them on an rf sample apparatus I made, they work great and are in new condition. They do get a little tight after having them on for a while. I may sell them, it's a shame that guy cut the mic end off
Yeah, I read they can really put the squeeze on the old melon! But, they are an aviation headset, so those guys need to keep the noise out. Selling them might be a good option. 399 did a nice review on a set from Audio Technica on this site that you might want to take a look at. I think they retail for around 200, and are quite a bit cheaper than the Heil 7.

Pleas keep studying for your ticket! I am SO glad I finally got off my butt and got mine... lots of fun, and there is always a band to play on.

Brett

Yeah, I read they can really put the squeeze on the old melon! But, they are an aviation headset, so those guys need to keep the noise out. Selling them might be a good option. 399 did a nice review on a set from Audio Technica on this site that you might want to take a look at. I think they retail for around 200, and are quite a bit cheaper than the Heil 7.

Pleas keep studying for your ticket! I am SO glad I finally got off my butt and got mine... lots of fun, and there is always a band to play on.

Brett
Yeah I don't believe I'll be using them for aviation, as I believe only fools and bird poo fall out of the sky.

A local here has icom 706 mark 2 for sale, he said if I get my ticket he will sell it very cheap seeing how it would be my 1st ham rig.

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
You will need a PTT switch as well. In aircraft espcialy small light aviation you push the ptt switch on the aircrafts hand mic. For some older aircraft you also have a com box/intercom box you can plug into any plane in case it does not have comm's built into the nav/com stack the intercom system gives on power and ptt. I have DC's, Flight Com, Telex and Bose headsets for aviation and for comfort the Telex while ugly does not clamp so tightly on your head. A lot of people add extra padding or sheep skin to their DC's for comfort. I am suprised they did not have phono jacks on them already.

You have to get the tip/ring/sleeve aka tip/barrel/shroud configuration right it is not universal. I had to make a 1/4 jack to 5 pin Uniden adapter recently and Ten-Tec does not use the standard configuration of T/R/S

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.