• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dead Galaxy DX2517

liquidh8

Aug 7, 2011
Hello all. Just picked up a DX2517, knowing it is not working. It is a nice looking radio, and doesn't appear to have any "work" done inside. The PA works, and thats about it.

Here is the deal:
  • The power supply works, radio is getting 14vdc. I have no rx/tx or channel/freq display.
  • If I put it in PA, I get loud audio out of an external speaker.
  • I check/swapped out the regulators just for hahas since I have a drawer of the upgraded ones. And the 2sc954 regulator also, Q35 I believe.

I have a service manual for a Saturn, but the boards are a little different so I can be sure the voltage truth charts I have are right.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

Thanks

If you have no receive/transmit; then it sounds like the PLL is probably unlocked. OR the VCO doesn't have any output. Either way, think it would be best to start by checking the PLL alignment test points from CB Tricks:

Galaxy Radios DX2517 Service Manual
Galaxy Radios DX2517 Service Manual

If you go through these test points and cannot adjust them or there is no signal; then that is where the chain is broken and that is where you start looking for bad solder joints or failed parts. At minimum, you will need a DVM and a freq counter.

Haven't worked on the 2517 before; but it just looks like another incarnation of the 3600 chassis.
Worked on a bunch of those before; yup . . .

Last edited:
Robb,
I'll check those checkpoints tonight when I get home from from work. One thing to note, there is no TXpower/RX, channel or freq leds, nothing. No static in the speaker.

The board is getting 14vdc, the Q54 regulator is also. Though the center pin is at like 4 volts. where my Saturn is much higher.

Last edited:
I was thinking the 8 volt also. Of the regulators I am getting 4 volts, 14 going to. I changed them out already.

I will be taking your advicee tonight and checking these out.

At q30,31 and 33 i have no 8volts.
Q55,54 and 37 have 14vdc getting to them, bu it ssb on the center pin of q54 and q 37, I have 2.5 volts. I definitly and not getting the 8 volts.

and that I don't. 2.5 aat best. I swapped it out also. Something is keeping the 8vdc regulator circuit from doing its job.

I checked that out. The xformer gives me 24vd, then it is regulated down and adjusted to 14. I have 14 to the board and the regulator. The I am onlt getting the 2.5vdc from the center pin or the regulator though. I have to go through the diodes and caps I think.

I wonder If I can just inject 8volt into it. where the regultor would normally.

Strange that the PA works. Stranger still is that a base radio even has this function.

Think the mode switch should be checked out.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx2517/graphics/dx2517_block_dia.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx2517/graphics/Dx2517sch.pdf

Might also want to check Q30, 31, & 32 first. Sounds like the radio part of the circuit isn't getting its 8v feed since the ch LED isn't working. Or the mode switch. Or both.

Both my 2517 and my uniden madison have a PA function. I've never used either. Now that you mention it, it is a little strange...

I thought so too. But it is nice when you need to check out the audio chip and all. Besides, the mobiles and bases of this type share the same board.

Haven't really made any progress on this radio. May get on it again soon. Still looking for suggestions. I have a few items I'll be selling here soon to help fund other things, I may sell this as is also.

anyone have any ideas?

Are you seeing 13v into the regulator and 2.5v out? If so; then replace it. Also replace the two zener diodes near the voltage regulator.

If that didn't do it; then you might look for mods that may have done incorrectly.

Look for shorts too . . . That is what I would do . . . Not likely that it is a cap; but not impossible either.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.