• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dead key 98 vhp

While both answers here are technically correct, i think you may be asking for something a bit different.

yes, you can vary the RF output using the front panel knob, but you can set the range that this knob sets by turning the pots inside the radio.

the two pots you need to find are VR14 and VR18.

VR18 sets the low power minimum.
VR14 sets the high power maximum.

these two pots do interact with eachother, so you need to set the range using both rather than set one or the other.

here's how:
first, turn the RF power knob on the front of the radio all the way down. (AM mode, and the mic gain should be all the way down for this also)

now key the mic and make a note of what the deadkey is.

lets say its 10 watts, and you want your minimum deadkey to be 3 watts.
with the Rf power knob turned all the way down, turn VR18 until you get to 3 watts.
if it wont go this low, you may need to lower VR14 and try again.

now, with the "low" deadkey set at 3 watts, you turn the RF power knob all the way up, key the mic, and use VR14 to set the "high" deadkey.

for example, 20 watts.

now you need to check the low setting again, remembering to turn the RF power knob all the way down before turning VR18.

you might find that after you re-set the high deadkey, that your low setting is no longer 3 watts, but now something like 6 watts.

turn the Rf power knob down again, and re-set VR18 to 3 watts, then repeat the high power process.

bounce back and forth between these adjustments until you get the deadkey range you are looking for.

just remember to only turn VR18 when the RF power knob is down, and only turn VR14 when the Rf power knob is up.

let us know how it goes!
LC

Reactions: Limeybastard
. . . In addition to what LC said, it is best to use a 50 ohm dummy load and a wattmeter that is accurate to do power adjustments Otherwise, the results won't be accurate or even useful . . .

Thanks for the help guys. The vr numbers are what i needed. I now have it adjusted how i want it..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated