• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dead Key vs Big Swing

I asked him to set the radio up for the amp...so I'm not sure how he did it. But he did what I asked.

All that matters to me is the radio talks well.

I was driving when I posted that last bit, so I will add...

My setup does 1:4 out of the amp...which runs 95% of the time. And again, I have heard this radio since my wife uses it when we travel, and it sounds better than probably 90% of the junk out there. And compared to the work of most of the "techs" in my area...

This thread is the reason I gave up on most truck forums. Its always knit-picking the faults of someone else, pointing out BS they might/should have done differently. If I had known this was going to turn into a grill session, I would not have stated anything. I thought this was going to be a simple conversation, not a "looky what he did"-thread.

It will be a while before I come back here...

It will be a while before I come back here... (that's pretty dramatic dude) What's up with that ? You surely seem offended , I thought I was pretty clear that I certainly didnt' mean to do that to you ....but I guess I did. ? I'll be damned !

You can defend anybody you feel the need to defend Steved , I simply stated the facts. And I thought I was pretty nice about it. I certainly hope the truth doesn't bother you Steve ? I said what I said and I meant every word of it.

IM sorry you felt this thread should have only applied to certain things Steved. Hey ? how about my famous last words ? ....maybe they might cheer you up a little ? ........We don't talk to machines , we talk to people. (-: Drive safe. Peace

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyyyyy

i THINK i know where you comming from on the ratio thing and low dead key for amps .
i know that cb amps are not linear in their amplification . my radio only puts out a couple of watts dead key but willl modulate 20ish . a 1 to 7 or 8 ratio . but it gives my amp pretty close to a 1 to 4 ratio . it sounds very clean . even though i dont know how with %200 modulation comming out of the rado into the amp . it almost seems like theres some sort of audio compression somewhere . but were talking cb amps here , LOL .

That's not what IM talking . Was just quoting DTB over the years. Always the no need for a swing kit ect. ect. but it sure sounds like he will do them. Now I think you have been around long enough to know what IM talking about BM.

Once upon a time ago , it seemed that it was OK to go there and now it doesn't ? . There are things in my mind that I do not forget. But I can see reality of the subject does not count here.

One either walks the talk or talks with forked tongue. Go figure ? It's no God Damned wonder that this Forum has made it's changes over the last year. Folks don't want to hear the truth , it's pretty much like ole Justin Depolis used to say.

Folks can't handle the truth and they make there own rules concerning all of this shit. does it make it right ? Nope ! Does it work ? Yes ! , are numbers for real ? Nope ! My personal beef is this . if a guy swears up and down that swing kits are nothing but bells and whistles that amount to nothing and that a perfectly tuned radio into given amp would pretty much do what I already said in this thread , the rest is shit !! I don't give a ratts ass how you sound !

These are just words out of the guru's mouths . Same guys that like to have blacklists on other people ? Well that's a bunch of BS in my book ! always has been and always will be. For Christ sakes !! make up your minds already or keep your damned mouths shut !! this way one doesn't get caught with foot in ones mouth. It's karma , what comes around goes around.

Now what ever you do BM . don't take me the wrong way , this has nothing to do with you are steved. It has to do with El Forked Tongue .

Im with you switch kit. I don't know why people get so offended when the tech they choose is criticized. We tend to deffend our choice of mods and every other thing we do in life to a unreasonable point.

Your reply, in my mind, was not offensive to steved or DTB.

He fixed all the damage others had done before him...he unclipped it, I believe realigned it, and made it sound 100% better than it did. Everything else had been done prior to him getting hold of it...talkback, 1969 final, echo, etc.

I'm surprised that radio had enough parts left to fix...I literally had one "tech" hand me a bunch of "unnecessary" parts from that radio...enough to cover the bottom of a coffee cup.

After owning an unclipped radio, I would never clip another one. I get nothing but flowers for any of the radios DTB set up...I need to make time to get that Grant down to him...

One thing I'll add is that although this particular radio showed more "power" on my RatShack meter before he redid it, it actually hits a known receiving station near me with a point higher S-unit now...

my bad switch . sorry

acccording to my reading comprehension skills this line clearly states the bigger final/swing kit (and some other work) was done befor DTB got the radio to work on .
"Everything else had been done prior to him getting hold of it...talkback, 1969 final, echo, etc."

When I got my magnum M-1 done, the tech was talking to me while he was working on something, and said "peak and tune is $35". I told him I did NOT want it peaked, just aligned, variable set so that at 12:00 is 4 watts, and enough audio, so that it's not overmodulated when the mic gain is all the way up. He stopped what he was doing and smiled. He did the radio right then and said it's pretty rare that someone requests NOT to squeeze every ounce of power out of a radio. I get compliments all the time on how that radio sounds.
For my base, I run a stock galaxy saturn-turbo and ampower 4 pill running off a regulated supply at 13 volts. I set it so it DKs 100 watts and swings to about 500 peak. I get tons of flowers, and get heard over other locals who are running twice the power but are overmodulated and and have dirty signals.

When I got my magnum M-1 done, the tech was talking to me while he was working on something, and said "peak and tune is $35". I told him I did NOT want it peaked, just aligned, variable set so that at 12:00 is 4 watts, and enough audio, so that it's not overmodulated when the mic gain is all the way up. He stopped what he was doing and smiled. He did the radio right then and said it's pretty rare that someone requests NOT to squeeze every ounce of power out of a radio. I get compliments all the time on how that radio sounds.
For my base, I run a stock galaxy saturn-turbo and ampower 4 pill running off a regulated supply at 13 volts. I set it so it DKs 100 watts and swings to about 500 peak. I get tons of flowers, and get heard over other locals who are running twice the power but are overmodulated and and have dirty signals.
That is exactly what a 4 pill should produce when driven properly, maybe just a little less.

I personally like a larger carrier, say 350 watts and would still see a small amount of forward modulation after the amplifier.

That's not what IM talking . Was just quoting DTB over the years. Always the no need for a swing kit ect. ect. but it sure sounds like he will do them. Now I think you have been around long enough to know what IM talking about BM.

Once upon a time ago , it seemed that it was OK to go there and now it doesn't ? . There are things in my mind that I do not forget. But I can see reality of the subject does not count here.

One either walks the talk or talks with forked tongue. Go figure ? It's no God Damned wonder that this Forum has made it's changes over the last year. Folks don't want to hear the truth , it's pretty much like ole Justin Depolis used to say.

Folks can't handle the truth and they make there own rules concerning all of this shit. does it make it right ? Nope ! Does it work ? Yes ! , are numbers for real ? Nope ! My personal beef is this . if a guy swears up and down that swing kits are nothing but bells and whistles that amount to nothing and that a perfectly tuned radio into given amp would pretty much do what I already said in this thread , the rest is shit !! I don't give a ratts ass how you sound !

These are just words out of the guru's mouths . Same guys that like to have blacklists on other people ? Well that's a bunch of BS in my book ! always has been and always will be. For Christ sakes !! make up your minds already or keep your damned mouths shut !! this way one doesn't get caught with foot in ones mouth. It's karma , what comes around goes around.

Now what ever you do BM . don't take me the wrong way , this has nothing to do with you are steved. It has to do with El Forked Tongue .
And if you had a clue about what you're talking about maybe your opinion would matter, but since that's not the case please spare us your soapbox time.

Im with you switch kit. I don't know why people get so offended when the tech they choose is criticized. We tend to deffend our choice of mods and every other thing we do in life to a unreasonable point.

Your reply, in my mind, was not offensive to steved or DTB.

Thanks Kor B . It's all good. I have respect for both gentleman. I guess some things just stick in my head over the years. Peace

Last edited:
I have one question:
Has anyone ever seen a SAMS CB manual that ever mentioned 'SWING' when performing a tuning procedure?

Roger
I own several and not one mention of a big swing mod, but they do mention the use of some very sophisticated alignment equipment that would indicate the radios perfomance beit negative or positive peaks.

But sadly no mention of NPC.

I bet DTB has SAMS CB Manuals also.

Which manuals do you suppose Switch Kit and his followers use?

freecell
user_offline.gif

Rf Engineer
rating_5.gif

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

mack you're babbling again.

freecell
user_offline.gif

Rf Engineer
rating_5.gif

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

mack you're babbling again.

You're pulling childish ramblings by a madman out of your ass in hope to discredit me when it's you that needs to prove his credibility.

DTB and Rogerbird have formal training in electronics and all you can spout is cb trucker mod bullshit. So go ahead with your next BLAH,BLAH,BLAH

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.