• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

deadkey change

V

vnsdeacon

I have My stryker 4400 in My ram 1500. Pluged into cigarett lighter. With power all the way up it shows 12watt dk. I ran the power to the battery. I also put in my texas star 250. Now heres the problem I only get a 5watt dk with the amp not even on. Im only going to run 3 watts into the box.They are running of the same power leads.Could that be the problem.I am still using my lil'will for now. Did I miss something :?:

vnsdeacon said:
I have My stryker 4400 in My ram 1500. Pluged into cigarett lighter. With power all the way up it shows 12watt dk. I ran the power to the battery. I also put in my texas star 250. Now heres the problem I only get a 5watt dk with the amp not even on. Im only going to run 3 watts into the box.They are running of the same power leads.Could that be the problem.I am still using my lil'will for now. Did I miss something :?:

You need to have the power separate for the amp and the radio and also separate grounds as well. You should also throw that little will out and move up to a larger Wilson mag mount. Those little will's are only good for 300 watts and dont work that well to begin with.

You do know that with that radio swinging to 40 or 50 watts that is way to much drive for a 250 watt Texas Start dont you? Dont be suprised if you start blowing pills in your amp!

Im going to run the radio of the cig. lighter. Can I turn the Var.power down or do I have to send it back to the shop. Like I said Im only going to run 3 watts into it.

I used to run the amp. With my 29 with 3watts in to it.
I am looking at a 10k or just using my t-2000.

A Stryker 440 is a pretty hot radio for a Texas Star 250. That amp will need a 1.5-2 watt input dead key and probably no more then say 25-30 watts peak swing. The radio will have to be re-tuned alittle.

As stated your antenna needs to go. Use a 6 foot jumper, make sure the grounds and over-all instalation is in order. If your SWR is good your ready to talk.

Use a barrel connector on the coax to bypass the amp and see what happens with your power output. If the power output is normal, then the problem is obviously the amp, which means that the input of the amp is not at or close to 50 ohms and the radio is reducing the output power because of it. You could also verify this by just using the SWR meter built into the radio to measure your swr. It would be helpful if you performed that test with a dummy load, unless you're REALLY certain your antenna is OK.

the Stryker 440 can be matched perfectly to drive a TSDX250 and unless you want ground loops and other nasty stuff to contend with you need to skip the cigarette lighter plug crap and connect both the amplifier and radio to common B+ and chassis ground terminals using the shortest wire lengths possible.

connecting power to the radio and amp using separate voltage sources is a good way to guarantee ground loop problems. a three watt carrier level is excessive input for a DX250.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned