• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Death of a Crossbow (antenna)

Rick330man

WDX 404
Mar 16, 2013
Florida Keys
The best antenna I have ever used was the old Radio Shack .64 ground plane omni. It was a fantastic performer and I had upgraded everything I could on it (screws, nuts, washers, clamps, etc.) to stainless steel. Unfortunately, it met a premature death when it got hit by lightning.

Radio Shack had no replacement parts and no direct replacement antenna. Instead, they had this fiberglass thing dyed in sky blue which they called a Crossbow. It was only a half-wave, so it wasn't quite at the performance level I was looking for. Nevertheless, this two piece thing with no radials would be easy to assemble and visually more pleasing to the neighborhood antenna police (who had already call the FCC on me). I found out a little later that I was essentially buying a Shakespeare Big Stick made specifically for Radio Shack to sell.

Well, the Crossbow lasted me about 40 years. It just died recently. Time to send it to the big antenna farm in the sky. It never was my favorite or my best performer, but it served me adequately for the tasks I gave it. Anyone else ever own one of these? What was your experience?

Never owned the RS version but I had a Big Stick, it was simple but efficient antenna. I probably had it for nearly 20 years before I got completely out of 11 meters.

I had one of those back in the day. It got out equally to a Super Big Stick but only handled about 200 watts. If I remember correctly it had reverse threads in the middle where it screwed together so you couldn't screw on alternate whips like you could with the Shakespeare.

I had one of those back in the day. It got out equally to a Super Big Stick but only handled about 200 watts. If I remember correctly it had reverse threads in the middle where it screwed together so you couldn't screw on alternate whips like you could with the Shakespeare.
Correct on the reverse threads. I've never run anything but legal CB power limits, but I do remember a licensed ham friend of mine telling me he wouldn't run over 25 watts into the Big Sticks.

I also had a Shakespeare 176-1 marine Big Stick. It last about 20 years before it buckled at the base right above the ferrule from its own weight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.