• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Delta Loop Question

UFO411

Sep 19, 2021
Aiken, SC
In addition to my long wire antennas, I also made a delta loop from electric fence wire. It’s roughly 72’ on each side of a rough equilateral triangle. I had an antenna tee that I used that allows you to tie the two ends together that ultimately connects one end to the center wire and the other to the shield of the SO-239. After sitting around and pondering it, does this seem to be correct? Since all of my feedline shields connect to ground, it’s basically shorting the antenna to ground, correct??? Should I pull the end loose that connects to the shield from the connector?

Thank you!

NO
Their is a difference from DC ground and RF ground.
Delta loop is suppose to be 1 wavelength on whatever band you are building it for.
should present an impedance of roughly 100 ohm, depending on where your feed point is.
So yes one side is connected to center of SO 239 other side is connected to ground. side of SO 239. A lot of info on delta loops online just search for it.
Decent antennas with some gain, but do not believe all the hype, you still need get the antenna 1/2 wl AGL for decent performance

NO
Delta loop is suppose to be 1 wavelength on whatever band you are building it for.
should present an impedance of roughly 100 ohm, depending on where your feed point is.
So yes one side is connected to center of SO 239 other side is connected to ground. side of SO 239. A lot of info on delta loops online just search for it.
Decent antennas with some gain, but do not believe all the hype, you still need get the antenna 1/2 wl AGL for decent performance
NO

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. I guess I’m just overthinking it. That’s exactly what I had read but like I said, I’m just sitting around thinking and trying to make sense of it.

But, just to clarify a separate point, am I correct in saying that the RF ground should be bonded to the earth/chassis/electrical system grounds in the system? Again, I think I’m melting down trying to overthink it.

OK
Two different systems.
Do not confuse grounding electrical with
RF grounding.
their is no need to ground your Delta loop to ground.

let me dig up some links for ya

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated