• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Desk Mic info.

jessejamesdallas

Apr 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Just got a Cobra 2000 GTL, and now I'm in the market for a good desk Mic to go with it.

Been looking at the Silver Eagles, and some of the New Mic's that are available, just wondering which way to go...I herd the D 104's tend to sound "tinnie" with some radios, and really don't want to gamble on a 30 year old Mic anyway...Most of the so-called "NOS" Mic's I have bought in the past didn't seem to fair too well with age.

Back in that era, Cobra made a pretty decent sounding base mic. For one, the Cobra Dynamike Plus CA-61 was a fine design and works great. A local around here uses one with his 2000 and it sounds outstanding - IMO. A Turner +3 is also another great choice too . . .

ca-61.jpg

Yeah, I been looking at one of those Cobra CA-61's...Also looking at a couple of Turner Super Sidekicks...Still debating if I want to take a chance on a older but in "like-New" condition Mic's, or go with something New that's still being made...

Haven't herd anyone using the Newer China made stuff, on the sound quality if their any good or not.

if you wanna keep it old school a turner +3
shinny and new , astatic 878DM

a mobile 2018 extreme works great with the old 858/8719 pll radios too .

Back in that era, Cobra made a pretty decent sounding base mic. For one, the Cobra Dynamike Plus CA-61 was a fine design and works great. A local around here uses one with his 2000 and it sounds outstanding - IMO. A Turner +3 is also another great choice too . . .

ca-61.jpg

Well...Broke down and bought a Cobra DM-61 today from a guy on eBay...Mic is suppose to be "NOS" with the plastic still stuck on the mic.

It was a little more than I wanted to pay ($145) but if it's half as good as the seller said it is, then it should work perfect with the 2000...

Now it's a "wait and see" deal. :pop:

Wow; that is a bit pricey!

But it is NOS. Keep the plastic on it and test it - is what I would do. If it isn't to your liking; then you can put it back on the market.

For that much money spent, I would have bought a used MXL 990 or MXL V67, a used mic preamp, make a cable to match up to the 2000, and an isolation xformer to get some HiFi TX/RX sound out of it. There are also audio mods for the Cobra 148GTL that should work for the 2000. Cheap mods too; cost just a few bucks for some capacitors. "Deep South Radio Forum" has that info if interested - BTW. That is; if you ever considered going that route . . .

Wow, for a minute there I thought that was a Radio Shack 21-1173 mic:

deskmicsm.jpg

The head style is different and the Radio Shack mic probably has a 5-pin DIN plug on it, but still.

-Bill

wow

when i bought mine tears ago it was 35 bucks
must be rare or vintage or nos still to much

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.